Daniel J. Friedman's CV, Technical Papers and Presentations
InspectAPedia.com ® Home Page
Daniel Friedman's RESUME
Daniel Friedman's CV: PUBLICATIONS & CLASSES
CONTACT DANIEL FRIEDMAN
Online Papers, Books, Classes, Presentations
Many additional Internet-based documents are not listed in the CV-list below but can be found listed at InspectAPedia.com. Not listed are media interviews, letters, citations by others, etc.
- Forensic, Particle Identification, & Environmental Hazard Research and IAQ online articles at Environment, including research on forensic microscopy for Building hazard diagnosis, indoor air quality, Mold hazards in buildings, mold and IAQ field and laboratory testing methods evaluated and compared, mold
problem diagnosis and remediation advice.
- Construction Diagnosis and Building Failure online articles listed at InspectAPedia.com, including research on home inspection, chimneys & flues, electrical hazards, exteriors,
landscaping, siding failures, heating systems, mobile home inspections, plumbing, wells, water
quality, septic system and cesspool failures and hazards, rot, fungus, wood-destroying insects,
roofing and flashing concerns, structural concerns, failures, and foundation cracking.
- Daniel Friedman is the principal author/editor of InspectAPedia.com, and is a regular contributor of technical content and photographs to books, textbooks, newspaper articles, government consumer pamphlets such as produced by the U.S. EPA, AIHA, ASHI, as well as independent educational, legal, and standards associations.
- Also see Daniel Friedman's RESUME
- AEROBIC SEPTIC SYSTEM MAINTENANCE COSTS - what does it cost to run & maintain a typical ATU or aerobic treatment unit septic system?
- AIR MOVEMENT in BUILDINGS - how does air move in buildings? What cause air to flow up or down in a structure: unexpected air flow directions
- ASPERGILLOSIS - basic information about Aspergillosis and diseases related to exposure to Aspergillus mold in buildings.
- BACK-WIRED ELECTRICAL DEVICES - how to back wire an electrical receptacle (outlet) safely & which types of back-wired receptacles are unsafe. Some back-wired devices perform poorly in the field and risk circuit failure, overheating, or fire. Others may be fine. The distinction is described in this article. [Re-write & expansion].
- CEILING LIGHT FIXTURE INSTALLATION - how to install or replace a ceiling light fixture, step by step: wiring, mounting, testing a ceiling light fixture
- CERAMIC TILE INSTALLATION on WALLS - how to install ceramic tiles on a masonry wall - fixing a problem with recurrent wall leaks from a recalictrant neighbor.
- CHIMNEY "CAP" CROWN / TOP SEAL INSPECTION - inspection procedures & defect list for chimney caps/crowns - the top seal around a masonry chimney flue where it protrudes from the top of a masonry chimney.
- CHIMNEY POTS & DECORATIVE TOPS - Defniition of "chimney pot" - what is a chimney pot, where are they most-widely installed? Can chimney pots also improve chimney performance?
- CHIMNEY RAIN CAP / RAIN COVER INSPECTION - CONTENTS: inspection procedures for chimney tops or rain caps & covers.
- CHIMNEY RAIN CAP / RAIN COVER DIY - is it OK to make your own chimney rain cap or top cover? Is it safe and legal to use a non-listed chimney rain cap? Examples of functional and probably non-functional or unsafe do-it-yourself chimney caps.
- CHIMNEY RAIN CAP VENT OPENING SIZE - what is the clearance distance between chimney rain cap top and flue opening top? What net free venting area should be provided by a listed or site-built chimney rain cap?
- CIRCUIT BREAKERS RE-CONDITIONED USED - manufacturer's warnings & research about the reliability, safety & performance of used circuit breakers or re-built or re-conditioned circuit breakers
- COLUMNS ROUND WOOD REPAIRS - how to diagnose & repair hollow or solid round & square structural & decorative columns including porch columns and similar applications.
- CONVERT to AEROBIC SEPTIC SYSTEM - how to convert a conventional septic tank & drainfield to an aerobic septic system design
- CRAWL SPACE VENTILATION - updated guidelines on crawl space ventilation vs. sealing & conditioning the space
- FLICKERING LIGHT DIAGNOSIS - what causes lights to dim, appliances to slow, or flickering lights and buzzing electrical noise in buildings? How to diagnose and repair dimming or flickering lights.
- GALVANIC SCALE & METAL CORROSION - Definition of the galvanic scale. Tables of relative corrosion resistance of metals used in or on buildings. Examples of types of corrosion & rust that occur on buildings & in building component including building roofing, siding, piping, HVAC equipment, electrical wiring, oil storage tanks, well casings, ductwork, boilers, furnaces & other building components. - major expansion.
- METAL ELECTRICAL BOX SCREW REPAIR, METAL BOX MENDER - repair a stripped screw opening at an electrical box for a receptacle, switch, cover or fixture in the U.K. using Metal Box Mender.
- ELECTRIC WATER HEATER REPLACEMENT - how to replace an electric water heater - steps in removing the old water heater and connecting the new water heater plumbing and electrical wiring
- FLASHING WALL to FOUNDATION or SLAB - Details on where & how to install flashing at the intersection of building siding or building walls with a horizontal surface such as a projecting foundation wall or a concrete porch or floor slab.
- FLAT ROOF LEAK REPAIR - diagnosing the source of leaks on a flat or low sope roof; how to install an imperable roof sealant compound on a flat concrete roof.
- FORMALDEHYDE in LAMINATE FLOORING - is there a hazard from formaldehyde outgassing from Chinese-made laminate flooring sold in the U.S. by Freight Liquidators? DF provided the original draft for a similar document published by the American Industrial Hygiene Association in 2015.
- FORMALDEHYDE TESTS for FLOORING - How should we test for formaldehyde gas exposure levels indoors; if high levels of formaldehyde are found, have we properly identified the source?
- GAS CONVERSION LP-NATURAL GAS - How to change over from liquid petroleum gas (LP or bottled gas) to natural (piped-in) gas for gas fired appliances in a building.
- GAS PIPING, FLEXIBLE CSST - Corrugated stainless steel tubing used for gas piping: manufacturers, sources, installation specifications & building codes. Field report of CSST gas leak. CSST gas piping protection measures.
- LEAD in FLOORING PRODUCTS & POLISHES - S hat is the possible lead content in various floor tiles, sheet flooring & floor coatings or polishes (other than lead paint)?
- LED BULB REPLACES FLUORESCENT - LED lighting & bulbs can replace fluorescent tubes in some light fixtures but watch out: fit space, re-wiring and heat may become issues.
- MOUSE in the HOUSE - how to get rid of mice
- PLASTIC ELECTRICAL BOX REPAIR - how to replace a broken plastic electrical box in a ceiling: or wall; how to use an old work box to replace a damaged or loose electrical box that supports a ceilng-hung light fixture;
- PROPYLENE GLYCOL DETECTION & POISONING SYMPTOMS - toxicity of polypropylene glycol (at high levels of consumption) and what are the symptoms of polypropylene glycol poisoning?
- PUMPER TRUCK VACUUM PUMPS - septic tank pumping equipment, vacuum pump types, capacities, choices, specifications for septic pumper trucks or septic tank cleaning systems & grease trap cleaning systems.
- RACCOONS in the ATTIC - smack rattle rattle rattle roll as uninvited guests dig out and play wiith Christmas ornaments in the attic.
- RECEPTACLE WIRE-TO-CONNECTOR CONTACT AREA SIZES - measurements & calculations of the contact area between an electrical wire and the connecting device on an electrical receptacle or switch explain differences between push-in type backwire connectors, compression plate connectors, and binding head screw connectors,
- REFRIGERANT HIGH HEAD PRESSURE DIAGNOSIS - what causes excessive head pressure at the air conditioner or heat pump compressor. How to diagnose & fix high head pressure.
- REFRIGERANT LOW HEAD PRESSURE DIAGNOSIS - what causes low head pressure at the refrigeration or air conditioning compressor or piping system?
- SPLIT SYSTEM AC CONDENSATE LEAK REPAIR - track down & fix pesky leaks from wall mounted AC units
- SPLIT SYSTEM AC MOLD CONTAMINATION REMOVAL - reasonable ways to clean a moldy window or wall AC unit
- SPLIT SYSTEM AC REFRIGERANT LEAK RE-CHARGE - quick and cheap refrigerant charging versus the ideal repair job
- STUCCO WALL WEEP SCREED DRAINAGE - omitting proper drainage means trouble in the stucco wall
- SVENSKA TARKETT GOLV MÖJLIGA ASBEST - foton och forskning dokumentet när några svenska Tarkett elastiska arket golvprodukter sannolikt kommer att ha innehållit asbest.
- VINYL SIDING HOOK to REMOVE & REPLACE - how to obtain & use this special tool to remove or repair vinyl siding.
- WATER FLOW RATE CALCULATE or MEASURE - measurements &calculations of water flow rate in gpm or lpm at faucets & fixtures
- WIRE-TO-CONNECTOR LIMITATIONS in PUSH-IN ELECTRICAL CONNECTORS - factors that may reduce wire-to-connector contact area and that may affect backwire receptacle or switch performance and safety
- WATER PUMP PRESSURE SENSITIVE - Pressure sensitive pumps and inline pump controllers
- WRITING POETRY, PROSE, & SHORT FICTION - additions in 2015
Continued addtitions to content across InspectApedia.com. A shift in writing includes anecdotal reports and a shift in scope continues to look out for varied topics of interest such as
Daniel Friedman's contributions to books & articles published or first appearing in 2013
- Carter Stanfield, David Skaves, Fundamentals of HVACR, AHRI Air-Conditioning, Heating and Refrigteration Institute, 2013, Pearson Education, Inc., ISBN 10: 0-13-285961-0, ISBN 13: 978-0-13-285961-5. 1494 pp. Contributing author, contributed technical illustrations, photographs, content review.
Among new technical & research articles this year (invited peer reviews) written & published at InspectApedia.com or elsewhere:
- ANEMONE FLOWER POLLEN - identification photographs, lab techniques
- BUILDING DAMAGE ASSESSMENT & REPAIR
- SIDING, FIBER CEMENT DEFECTS - gaps, shrinkage, study of installation defects and how the product ages
- THERMISTORS - Thermistors: definition, types, uses in room thermostats
- FLOOD ZONES & FLOOD ZONE MAPS
- JAMES HARDIE HardiePlank Siding - shrinking gaps in hardboard siding due to improper storage, handling, moisture
- RAILINGS, STAIRWAY - new material on safe handrail graspability, metrics, spacing
Daniel Friedman's contributions to books published in 2012
- Carson Dunlop Associates, The Home Reference Book, 2012, ISBN: 978-1-895585-84-1. This is a reference & inspection report product for building owners & inspectors. Contributed technical content, technical review, illlustrations.
- Carson Dunlop Associates,The Home Reference eBook, 2012, This is an electronic version of the Home Reference Book described above, for use or PCs, the iPad, iPhone, & Android smart phones.
- Peter Eleey, September 11, MoMA PS1, Long Island City, NY, published on occasion of the exhibition September 11 organized by MoMa and displayed from 9/11/11 to 1/9/2012. Photographic contribution: photomicrograph of dust particles from the World Trade Center Collapse on September 11,2001, p. 47. Also see WTC DUST PARTICLE - MICRO PHOTOGRAPHS
- Traci Totino, Solutions to Mold, Pearson, 2012, ISBN 10:1-256-63403-4, ISBN 13: 978-1-256-63403-4. The author collected technical advice from experts about building mold hazards, building mold inspections & tests, laboratory analysis, and related information. Contributing author; cover photo, other illustrations, technical content. Because I had no opportunity to review nor comment on the complete technical content of this book prior to its publication I asked to be excluded from online marketing efforts for this volume.
Among approximately 250 new technical & research articles this year (invited peer reviews) are posted at InspectApedia.com. Recent additions include these technical topics expanding information in aerobiology, art, conservation, environmental topics, and building forensic investigation:
DISASTERS: BUILDING INSPECTION & REPAIR
- ACCURACY vs PRECISION of MEASUREMENTS
- AIR FLOW MEASUREMENT CFM
- AIR QUALITY STUDY San Miguel de Allende - What particles are found in outdoor air in a colonial city at 6500 ft. in central Mexico.
- AMPS MEASUREMENT METHODS
- BARK SIDE DOWN on DECKS, TRIM, STEPS
- Bisphenol-A, BPA
- BOD WASTEWATER TEST
- BOOK MOLD, CLEANING
- CACTUS, NOPAL PRICKLYPEAR
- CAPILLARY TUBES
- CAR MOLD CONTAMINATION
- Color Temperature Bulb Comparisons
- DEFINITION of Heating & Cooling Terms
- DISASTERS: BUILDING INSPECTION & REPAIR - article series
- DMM Digital Multimeter, How to Use
- DUST SAMPLING PROCEDURE - expanded
- ELECTRIC MOTOR DIAGNOSTIC GUIDE
- FIRE DAMAGE vs MOLD DAMAGE
- FOXING STAINS on books & papers
- GAUGE, REFRIGERATION PRESSURE TEST
- LAB PROCEDURES MICROSCOPE TECHNIQUES - expanded
- LIGHT, GUIDE to FORENSIC USE
- LOW VOLTAGE TRANSFORMER TEST
- RAILINGS, STAIRWAY - expanded
- ROT, TIMBER ASSESSMENT
- SLAB DUCTWORK
- Slippery Stairs, Walks
- STAIR FALL & TRIP HAZARDS
- STAIRS, RAILINGS, LANDINGS, RAMPS - expanded subtopics
- Stair Rise & Run Calculations for low slope stairways and uneven terrain
- THERMAL IMAGING, THERMOGRAPHY
- THERMAL IMAGING MOLD SCANS
- UV LIGHT BLACK LIGHT USES
Onsite Waste Disposal System Inspection & DesignClasses - 2010
- Septic System Design Types, Inspection, Diagnosis, Safety - Class text & references - NY Metro ASHI Seminar, Crowne Plaza Hotel, 66 Hale Ave., White Plains NY 10601, 11 Sept. 2010 text and refrerences for that seminar. (PDF File © 2010 Daniel Friedman). Also see Septic System Inspection Class original draft - generously provided by ASHI inspector Victor Faggella.
- Septic System Design Types, Inspection, Diagnosis, Safety - Power Point presentation Handouts - NY Metro ASHI Seminar, White Plains NY, 11 Sept. 2010(PDF File © 2010 Daniel Friedman).
- XXX. CAHI Seminar, CT. October 2010
Electrical System Classes - the following are Power Point Presentations, very large files, for Milestone Electric, Dallas, TX - March 2010
Art, Artifact, & Conservation
- Parmetol, a wood preservativerecommended by the manufacturer was used as a fungicidal additive to paint on the Blue Poplar wood sculpture in Amsterdam, by artist Mari Shields [ - art conservation consult DJF- artist MS 2010]. Also see the Blue Poplar wood sculpture tree Project photos Week 2. We discussed mold cleanup, mold prevention, wood preservation, wood painting, and use of restoration expoxies affecting this project.
- Forensic identification of common indoor building particles, including common indoor molds and harmless indoor particles mistaken for toxins.
- Cracks, Checking or Splitting Beams & Log Homes - Checking or splits in solid logs used to construct both antique and modern log houses worry homeowners even though usually they do not present a structural problem. But checks in structural wood beams as well as checks and splits in logs used to construct log homes can result in water or air leaks into the building.
- DECK & PORCH CONSTRUCTION - This article explains critical safe-construction details for decks and porches, including avoiding deck or porch collapse and unsafe deck stairs and railings. This article also includes excerpts or adaptations from Best Practices Guide to Residential Construction, by Steven Bliss, courtesy of Wiley & Sons.
Also see our BOOK REVIEW of that book.
- FPE: "A Summary of the Problem: Federal Pacific Stab-Lok Electric Panel and Circuit Breaker Hazards," NAHI Forum, Summer 2009, p. 8-9. NAHI, the National Association of Home Inspectors, is a non-profit association dedicated to promoting and develoing the home inspection industry, with the objective of developing professionalism by promulgating standards of practice, eductaion, public service, consuer protection from fraudulent, misleading, or deceptive practices. See FEDERAL PACIFIC FPE HAZARDS
INDOOR AIR QUALITY METHODS COMPARED - This article lists and compares classes of mold, air, gas, test methods used in indoor air quality investigation methodology in searching for possible causes of respiratory illness, asthma, immune system disorders, rashes, skin disease, psychological and neurological disorders, eye infections, or other symptoms which may have a physiological and environmental component.
- LEAD TEST KIT for HOME USE - Here we demonstrate and review the performance of an over-the-counter home test kit for lead.
- TOILET TISSUE CHOICES and TOILET TISSUE TEST: Toilet paper: what kind of bathroom tissue to use in septic systems, testing toilet paper for septic tank breakdown
- Wood Floor Types and WOOD FLOOR DAMAGE - a survey of types of building flooring, identification, age, damage, and repair
Below is a list of some of the longer articles published, or classes taught. Research on other building inspection, diagnosis, & repair topics is ongoing and appears as updates and additions to articles listed at website: InspectAPedia.com
Art, Artifact, & Conservation
- The Labyrinth of Frida Kahlo, Death, Pain, & Ambivalence, Jennifer Church & Daniel Friedman, CIAM Press, 2008, 176 pages, ISBN 978-0-615-23125-9, Spanish, english translations of annotations and writings of Frida Kahlo, commentary, historical and analytical notes. Also available at Amazon.com.
- 2008 Electrical Code Update: AFCIs Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters & GFCIs Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters requirements in residential properties, paper presented to the Connecticut Association of Home Inspectors, 26 March 2008
- Asbestos-containing products: a master list
- Chimney & Flue Inspection, Diagnosis, & Repair Guide
- Electrical Safety Hazards & Accident Prevention for Home Inspectors, paper presented to the Connecticut Association of Home Inspectors, 26 March 2008
- Flood Damage Assessment & Repair Guide, published to assist disaster workers following hurricanes & floods
- "Planting Over Septic System Components", The Innovator BC onsite Sewage Association, Victoria BC, Winter/Spring 2008 issue, pp.1-2.
An online copy of this article can be viewed at Planting Over Septics and an online version of this topic with links to related articles is at Planting Ground Coverings Over Septic System Components - an illustrated guide.
- Stairways: Guide to Stair, Railing, Landing Construction & Inspection
- "Testing your water for contaminants," [Interview with D Friedman], Jay Romano, New York Times, 24 Feb 2008 R.E. p. 7.
- "Fall Maintenance Projects", Cottages & Bungalows, Fall 2007, illustrations, technical review, content.
Art, Artifact, & Conservation
- "Best Practices Guide to Residential Construction, Materials, Finishes, and Details," Steve
Bliss, Wiley & Sons 2005, review by Daniel Friedman
- Examining the Validity of Current Indoor Mold Sampling Techniques, Daniel Friedman, (Illustrated Power Point Presentation),
15th Annual North Carolina/South Carolina Environmental Information Association
Technical Conference, Myrtle Beach, SC, 9/23/2005
- "Identifying Sears Catalog Kit Homes," Daniel Friedman, ASHI, for HVASHI Kingston NY Seminar,
- "Diagnosing Paint Failures, Field and Laboratory Investigation Methods," Daniel Friedman, ASHI,
for HVASHI Kingston NY Seminar, 9/8/2005
- "Digital Microphotography Techniques for Biological and Forensic Investigations,"
Daniel Friedman, Pan American Aerobiology Association - PAAA 2005 Conference, University of Tulsa,
Tulsa OK, 2005
- Citation: When Mold Attacks (this is not an article by DF)2004
- "Developing your X-Ray Vision" - updated version, "Inattentional Blindness," Daniel Friedman, Suncoast ASHI Tampa FL - 5/1/2004
- "Sinkholes in Florida, causes, warning signs, reporting," Daniel Friedman, Suncoast ASHI Tampa FL - 5/1/2004
- "Termites - a case study of contextual clues indicating infestation," Daniel Friedman, Suncoast ASHI Tampa FL - 5/1/2004
- "PAAA Cookbook: Glycerin Jelly, Calberla's Solution, KOH, and Fuchsin Stains for Fungal
Spores & Skin Cells," Dan J. Friedman, Jr., Pan American
Aerobiology Association Spring 2004 Newsletter
Art, Artifact, & Conservation
- "Cultural Heritage and Aerobiology, Methods and Measurements Techniques for Biodeterioration
Monitoring," Dan J. Friedman, Jr. Pan American Aerobiology Association Spring 2004 Newsletter
- Book Review>
- PAINT FALURE, DIAGNOSIS, CURE, PREVENTION - Working with museum conservators such as Ulrik Runeberg, Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Puerto Rico, San Juan, we have found that forensic analysis of small surface samples of stains, using simple adhesive tape sampling can provide useful art conservation information without requiring punch samples or paint chip samples. Our photo (above right) of a closeup of the surface of a painting whose surface was flaking was provided courtesy of Mr. Runeberg and formed part of a joint investigation into the adhesion failure of paint in this work.
- "Diagnosing Building Water Entry and Apportionment of Mold Damage Causation," Daniel J. Friedman,
for State Farm Insurance Co., Stony Point NY 4/2003
- "Testing the effectiveness of baking soda media blasting for cleaning fungal contamination
in buildings," Daniel J Friedman, Dennis Melandro, Indoor Environment Connections,
Rockville MD, June 2003
- "Inspecting Slate Roofs," Dan Friedman, HVASHI Historic Homes Seminar, Kingston NY,
- Mold: A Growing Menace? (newyork.construction.com - August 2003 issue) NOTICE: I have no recollection of how this company and publication
decided to use my name as author on this publication.
- "Inspecting Residential Electrical Panels," Daniel Friedman, HVASHI, September 12, 2002 Annual Seminar.
- "Mold and Environmental Inspections," Daniel Friedman, WIN Conference, Phoenix AZ,
- "Mold Damage Prevention Tips," Daniel Friedman, Journal of Light Construction,
- "Mold, a Rouges Gallery," Daniel Friedman, Smart Homeowner, Jan/Feb 2002
- "Mastery Over Mold," Clarke Canfield [photograph by Daniel Friedman, article interview with
Daniel Friedman], Smart Homeowner, Jan/Feb 2002
"A Closer Look at the Stachybotrys Scare," Daniel Friedman, AIHA, The Journal of Light
Construction, December, 2001
- "EPA publication for consumers on mold," DJ Friedman, contributed microscopic photos
& text suggestions, December, 2001
- "Looking for Mold," Daniel Friedman, Smart Homeowner Magazine, 2001
- "Directions of the Inspection and Aerobiology professions, Checking buildings for
allergens," Daniel Friedman, presented to the Canadian Association of Home Inspectors, CAHI
Conference, Toronto, 11/2001
- "Mold and Indoor Air Site Inspection and Testing," Daniel Friedman, presented to HV
ASHI Chapter, 11/2001
- Septic & Cesspool Safety - septic system, septic tank, & cesspool safety warnings for septic inspectors, septic pumpers, and homeowners.
- "Septic system hazards," Daniel Friedman, Long Island Newsday interview, 10/2001
- "Mold for Home Inspectors," Daniel Friedman, Metro ASHI Newsletter, 2001
list remains to be entered
- "New Home Diagnostics Guide," Daniel Friedman, Journal of Light Construction, December
1999 [book review]
remainder of list remains to be entered
- "Developing your X-Ray vision: using levels of fear and thresholds of action to identify
and report nearly-hidden Building defects, backed by real-world case studies," Dan Friedman,
Hudson Valley ASHI Conference, New Windsor NY, August 8, 1998.
- "Standards and Methodology for Inspection and Testing of On-Site Waste Disposal
Systems," Daniel Friedman, Canadian Association of Home Inspectors (CAHI) Toronto National
Seminar/Conference, October 1998
- "Foundation Trouble Shooting," Daniel Friedman, Construction Business & Technology
Conference, Rhode Island Convention (Journal of Light Construction), April 1998
- "Common Framing Problems," Daniel Friedman, Construction
Business & Technology Conference, Rhode Island Convention (Journal of Light Construction), April
- "Diagnosing & Curing Moisture Problems," Daniel Friedman, Construction Business &
Technology Conference, Rhode Island Convention (Journal of Light Construction), April 1998
- "Ethical and Technical Licensing Issues Regarding Licensing Home Inspectors," Daniel Friedman,
New Jersey State Home Inspection Advisory Committee [Licensing Board] 9/29/1998
list remains to be entered
- "Modular Home Construction, special defects and inspection methods" Dan Friedman, NY
Metro ASHI Seminar, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, White Plains NY, October 4, 1996.
- "Polybutylene Piping: Time Bomb?" Daniel Friedman, Journal of Light Construction, August
1996 [Technical Q&A]
- "Aluminum Wiring Poses Remodeling Challenge," Daniel Friedman, Journal of Light
Construction, pp. 11-14, June 1996
- "Radiant Floor Caution," Daniel Friedman, Journal of Light Construction, April 1996
[Radiant Heat warning letter to editor]
- "Los Angeles Ponders Huge Seismic Retrofit," Journal of Light Construction, March 1996
[Photo credits, Northridge California Earthquake Damage Pictures by DJF]
- "Case in Point: The Ice Dam Cometh," Dan Friedman, Journal of Light Construction,
- "Inspection of Electrical Systems & Special Concerns," Daniel Friedman,
ASHI/CAHI/OAHI/IAEI Conference, Toronto, Ontario, 10/19-21/1995
- "ASHI On Line, using internet for technical data exchange," Daniel Friedman, Canadian
Association of Home Inspectors, Mississauga (Ontario)
- , October 19, 1995.
- "Recognizing and Reporting Structural Defects," Daniel Friedman, Inspection Round-Up,
Canadian Association of Home Inspectors, Calgary, Alberta Canada, July 14-16, 1995 (ASHI/CAHI joint
- "ASHI On-Line by one of its inventors," DJ Friedman, Inspection Round-Up, Canadian
Association of Home Inspectors, Calgary, Alberta Canada, July 14-16, 1995
- "Disaster Services, LA Earthquake damage assessment and ASHI/American Red Cross
cooperation," DJ Friedman & Tom Kraeutler, ASHI/CAHI Mid-Year Conference, Vancouver, British
Columbia, Canada, July 1-10, 1994
- "L. A. Quake Aftermath," DJ Friedman, The Journal of Light Construction, Feb 1995
- "New Connector Unsafe?", Dan Friedman, Letters, Journal of Light Construction, September 1995, p. 5, letter citing the hazards of relying on the Ideal Brand Model 65 twist-type connector with anti corrosive paste for connecting aluminum wires.
- "Earthquake Aftermath: On-Site Report," Dan Friedman, The Journal of Light Construction,
- "The January 17 1994 Northridge California Earthquake: Damage Assessment Lessons for ASHI
Inspectors," Daniel Friedman, ASHI 1995 National Education Conference,
Orlando FL, 1/17/1995
- "ASHI On-Line, Using computer communication," DJ Friedman, ASHI/CAHI Mid-Year
Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, July 1-10, 1994
- "Private Waste Systems," Dan Friedman, ASHI/CAHI Toronto Educational Seminar, Royal
York Hotel, Toronto, Ontario
9-11, 1994 (Round Table)
- "Septic Systems: testing methods," Dan Friedman, NY Metro ASHI Seminar, White Plains
NY, September 30, 1994.
- "Report Writing Methods," Dan Friedman, ASHI/CAHI Toronto Educational Seminar, Royal
York Hotel, Toronto, Ontario
- The ASHI Technical Journal, Vol. 3 No. 1, Spring 1993, Daniel Friedman,
- "Estimating Residential Electrical Service Capacity Requirements," Dan Friedman and Robert Stead, The ASHI Technical Journal, Vol. 3 No. 1, Spring 1993
- "Inspecting Hydronic Heating Systems, Parts I & II, Inspection Methodology to Maximize
Your Ability to Detect Defects," Dan Friedman, ASHI/CAHI Mid-Year Conference, Toronto, Ontario,
Canada, July 9, 1993 (2 sessions)
- "Inspection Methodology, Inspecting Complex Systems," Daniel Friedman, ASHI/CAHI
Mid-Year Conference, Toronto, Ontario,
July 9, 1993
- "Electromagnetic Fields: sources, levels, potential health concerns, possible mitigation
and related costs," DJ Friedman, Tri-State ASHI Seminar, Philadelphia
November 6-7, 1993.
- "Enviro-Scare: electromagnetic radiation, EMR measurement procedures and reporting,"
Daniel Friedman, NY Metro ASHI Seminar, Holiday Inn, Crowne
, White Plains NY, 10/1/93.
- "Foundation Failures, Diagnosis and Analysis: Foundation Cracking, causes of problems, what
we can tell from cracks, when are reinforcements possible, when is danger imminent, typical
solutions, mathematical support information," Dan Friedman, Jr., Tri-State ASHI Seminar,
Philadelphia PA, November 6-7, 1993.
- "Heating: how to inspect boilers, evidence related to individual components and system
problems, typical distribution problems and corrections, air problems in systems, expansion problems
and evidences," DJ Friedman, Tri-State ASHI Seminar, Philadelphia PA, November 6-7, 1993.
- "Inspecting Heating Systems: a methodology," D. Friedman, ASHI Annual Conference, San
Antonio TX, January 1993.
- "Inspecting Heating Systems, Steps Towards a Methodology for Completeness, Accuracy, and
Maximum Defect Recognition," Daniel Friedman, Tri-State ASHI Seminar, Philadelphia ASHI
- "Complexity and Home Inspection Methodology," Daniel J. Friedman, American Society of
Home Inspectors national educational conference, San Antonio,
- "Report Writing: narrative vs. checklist, computer-generated vs. manual," Daniel J.
Friedman, Jr., Tri-State ASHI Seminar, Philadelphia PA, November 6-7, 1993.
- "ASHI Computer System," Daniel J. Friedman, Jr., Tri-State ASHI Seminar, Philadelphia
PA, November 6-7, 1993.
- "Report Writing: computer smarts vs. computers smart," Dan J Friedman, Florida-ASHI
Orlando Seminar, October 9-10, 1993.
- "Complexity and Home Inspection Methodology," Dan Friedman, Mid Hudson ASHI
professional Seminar 6/10/93
- "Computer Smarts vs. Computer Smart, use of computer macros for meaningful, customized
technical report writing," Daniel Friedman, Tri-State ASHI
Seminar, Philadelphia ASHI Seminar, 11/7/93
- "Hydronic Heating - Inspection Methodology - Maximize Your Ability to Detect Defects in
Complex Systems," Daniel Friedman, ASHI National Mid-Year Conference, Toronto,
Ontario, July 8-10, 1993
- " [missing article title]," Daniel Friedman, Florida
ASHI Educational Seminar 10/0/93
- "Complexity and Home Inspection Methodology," Daniel Friedman, Mid Hudson ASHI
professional Seminar,. 6/10/93
- "Complexity and Inspection Methodology, An Introduction to
Inspecting Anything, " Daniel Friedman, American Society of
Home Inspectors National #educational Conference, San Antonio, TX 1/27/93
- The ASHI Technical Journal, Vol. 2 No. 1, Winter 1992, Daniel Friedman,
- "Safety Considerations for the Electrical Inspector," Daniel Friedman, The ASHI Technical
Journal, Vol. 2 No. 1, Winter 1992
- "Determining Service Ampacity," Daniel Friedman, Alan Carson, The ASHI Technical Journal,
Vol. 2 No. 1, Winter 1992
- "Lightning and Lightning Protection Systems," Daniel Friedman [as Thomas Misciewicz], The ASHI
Technical Journal, Vol. 2 No. 1, Winter 1992
- "Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters, How Do They Work?" Daniel Friedman [as Journal Staff], The
ASHI Technical Journal, Vol. 2 No. 1, Winter 1992
- "Leaking Heating Oil Tanks," Daniel Friedman, The ASHI Technical Journal, Vol. 2 No. 1,
- "Inspection tools/instruments," Dan Friedman, NY Metro ASHI Seminar, White Plains, NY
October 16-18, 1992.
- "Frequency of Occurrence and Sources of Rust and Corrosion in Electrical Panels,"
Daniel Friedman, IEEE HOLM Conference, Philadelphia PA
- "Report Writing -- Can the Narrative Report be Scrapped," Daniel Friedman, NY Metro
ASHI Seminar, White Plains, NY, October 16-18, 1992.
- The ASHI Technical Journal, Vol. 1 No. 2, Summer 1991, Daniel Friedman,
- "Choosing and Using a Carbon Monoxide CO Monitor " Dan Friedman, The ASHI Technical
Journal, Vol. 2 No. 1, July1991
- "Heat Exchanger Testing, Who's Right? " Dan Friedman, The ASHI Technical Journal, Vol. 2
No. 1, July1991
- "Case History: LP Gas Leak - (TIF 8800 FIELD TEST) Using the TIF 8800," Dan Friedman, The ASHI Technical
Journal, Vol. 2 No. 1, July1991
- The ASHI Technical Journal, Vol. 1 No. 1, Winter 1991, Daniel Friedman,
- "Slate Roofs," Alan Carson, Dan Friedman, The ASHI Technical Journal, Vol. 1 No. 1, Winter
- "Inspecting Windmills," Dan Friedman, The ASHI Technical Journal, Vol. 1 No. 1, Winter
- "Computer Views [on effective use of automation] " Dan Friedman, The ASHI Technical
Journal, Vol. 1 No. 1, Winter 1991
- "FRT Plywood " Dan Friedman, The ASHI Technical Journal, Vol. 1 No. 1, Winter 1991
- "Septic System Maintenance Suggestions, " Dan Friedman, The ASHI Technical Journal, Vol. 1
No. 1, Winter 1991
- "Home Inspection Efficiency, Dealing With Complex Systems," Daniel Friedman, ASHI
National Seminar, 1991
- "House Detectives: Professional Inspectors help buyers to be wise," Harvey Auster, interview
with D. Friedman, Poughkeepsie Journal, 6/23/91
- "Residential & Light Commercial Building Design Defects in the Northeastern United
States: Ill Conceived, Born to Fail, Case Studies of Avoidable Building Defects" Daniel Friedman, Harvard Graduate School of Design, 3 May 1990 [guest lecture].
- "Buying a home: look before you leap - advice for buyers and realtors," Dan Friedman,
Albany banking seminar, 3/20/90 & 5/5/90.
- "Curriculum for Home Inspector Education," Daniel Friedman, for New York University, 6/10/1990
including "Introduction to Small Building Inspection: Methods, Standards, Defect Identification"
and full-course specifics for Residential Building Inspection, Commercial Building Inspection,
Structural Inspections, Residential Heating and Air Conditioning Inspection, Electrical Inspection,
Plumbing Inspection, Exterior and Site Inspections, Roofing Inspection, Report Writing,
Understanding Building Codes, and Identification, Repair, and Rehabilitation of Materials in Older
- "Home Inspection Methods: Efficiency," ASHI International Conference, Orlando, Fl,
- "Office Procedures: three types of offices - one person, no automation, one person,
extensive automation, large enterprise, automated," Danny Friedman, ASHI National Conference,
Orlando FL, January 1988.
- "Standards and Methodology for Inspection and Testing of On-Site Waste Disposal
Systems," Daniel Friedman, Canadian Association of Home Inspectors (CAHI) Toronto National
Seminar/Conference, October, 1998
- "The Termite Report," [book review], Dan Friedman, ASHI Reporter, 1988
- "Asbestos Insulation in Old Homes," Daniel Friedman, Old House Journal [ 3/86]
- "Remuddling a Queen Anne Victorian into a 'Rocket Ship'"[remuddling photograph], Old House
Journal, June 1986
1969-1986 Publications while IBM Employee
- [list to be added]
- Dynamic language translation, mathematics and computer simulation
- "Exercise in Roget's or How I Struggled with Freshman English," Daniel Friedman, Emphasis,
Mensa Bulletin, April 1972 [Poetry]
- Editor, Fork Union Military Academy newspaper
- 52 Mexican burros invade Richmond Farm [approximate title], Richmond News Leader, cub reporter
- Daniel J. Friedman, nee Dan J. Friedman, Jr.
Publisher's Google+ Page by Daniel Friedman