Mold in drywall  cavity (C) Daniel FriedmanEnvironmental Medicine & Mold Doctor FAQs
Q&A on how to find a physician expert in environmental medicine

InspectAPedia tolerates no conflicts of interest. We have no relationship with advertisers, products, or services discussed at this website.

FAQs on how to find a physician who specializes in environmental medicine, or find mold doctor:

Directory of & contact information for physicians who has expertise in environmental medicine and mold-related illness. In addition to providing contact information for doctgors, this document discusses the decision to consult a physician who has expertise in mold and mold related illness.

We suggest a few questions to ask your doctor about the possibility of building-related illness, we include a list of physicians with expertise in mold and environmental medicine, and we provide a article series that can help you assess the risk of mold related illness in a building.

Professional remediation was not needed for the mold cleanup of the area shown at the top of this page, and the mold-related-illness risk to building occupants from this mold contamination was insignificant.

Green links show where you are. © Copyright 2017, All Rights Reserved.

Q&A on Finding Doctors with Expertise in Environmental Medicine & Mold Related Illness

Photograph of severe indoor mold contamination (C) Daniel Friedman

Questions & answers about how to find a mold doctor or specialist in environmental medicine posted originally at MOLD DOCTORS - ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE - topic home where you will find links to directories of mold doctors & physicians who are specialists in environmental medicine.

On 2017-05-04 20:48:21.354690 by (mod) : reply to need for a Mold Doctor in the U.S.

American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, ACOEM, 25 Northwest Point Blvd., Suite 700, Elk Grove Village, Illinois, 60007-1030 Telephone: 847/818-1800, Fax: 847/818-9266 -

ACOEM provides a "doctor finder" service via their website.

On 2017-05-04 18:00:38.508689 by Cheryl Poland

I need a mold doctor who take Medicaire I am in northern Virginia and I am dying 7038554491

On 2017-03-30 19:16:51.267822 by (mod)


You should start with your local doctor, ask for a referral to a specialist if she/he agrees. Or you might find an specialist by the directories at MOLD DOCTORS - ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE.
United Kingdom: British Society for Ecological Medicine (BESM), allergy, environment, nutrition, BSEM c/o New Medicine Group 144 Harley St London W1G 7LE, Website: , Email:, Quoting:
The BSEM promotes the study and good practice of allergy, environmental and nutritional medicine for the benefit of the public and supports doctors who use the insights of ecological medicine to help patients.
United Kingdom: British Society for Allergy, Environmental and Nutritional Medicine (BSAENM), BSAENM, P.O. box 7, Knighton, Powys LD & 2WF, U.K. Telephone: 01547 550380 (+44 1547 550380), Website: Quoting:
The principal aim of the Society is to promote, for the benefit of the public, the study of allergy, environmental and nutritional medicin
United Kingdom: Practitioners of Ecological (Allergy, Environmental, Nutritional) Medicine [privately maintained website]

If you know there is a large mold reservoir in your home and if you are sick and convinced it's building-caused or building-aggravated, you are not living in an acceptably safe space.


On 2017-03-30 19:10:04.220242 by Stacey foley

Please help very unwell. 11 years living in a condemned toxic mouldy and damp environment. West yorkshire wakefield

On 2016-12-23 16:37:30.588475 by (mod)


If your own doctor doesn't know a specialist in environmental medicine, then you can certainly find one using the U.S. national source directory in the article MOLD DOCTORS - ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE. I would be stunned if there were no physicians in New Jersey who specialize in environmental medicine and mold-related illness.

On 2016-12-22 23:39:14.785130 by Sarita

Where can I go to get a legitimate toxic mold syndrome test? I live in the state of New Jersey and there is no one here I can go to and I am very sick from being exposed

On 2016-12-13 17:16:07.562728 by Shirley

There certainly are ways to prove that you have been exposed and /or have the pathogens in your body. Go on You tube and there are many Doctors that will explain the "markers", also explain symptoms and diagnosis.

Testing can be done. Dr. Amen does a "Spect" test of the brain that shows the Mycotoxins. Dr. Shoemaker knows just about anything you would need to know. Dr Thrasher ( the GURU in my oppinion ) will accept and return emails concerning any questions. Some people can have allergies, some may not. Usually an allergy doctor also deals with the immune system. Find out if yours has been compromised. Lastly, get an "indoor Air Quality" test done at place where you feel you were exposed. Make sure it is done by someone legally qualified. Good Luck and God Bless

On 2016-11-28 20:43:15.321075 by Maryland

Looking for an MD to treat mold poisoning in South Florida

On 2016-10-17 18:47:33.368502 by Michele

Need help finding a mold doctor near Austin, Texas. Been dealing with exposure for two years and sick. Doctor I have called cannot see me until November 14.

On 2016-10-10 18:50:41.136840 by (mod)

Alyssia and other readers,

Near the top of this article we refer to who can refer to environmental doctors including mold specialists in many countries including the U.S. and its states.

MEMBER TYPE: Physician

Listed by city, sorted alphabetically.

Cinelli, Francis J., , M.D. (Bangor)
Gallagher, Martin , M.D., D.C. (Jeannette)
Miller, George C., M.D. (Lewisburg)
Smith, Regina , D.O. (Mechanicsburg)
Kerry, Roy E., M.D. (Portersville)
Kracht, William G., D.O. (Quakertown)

On 2016-10-09 13:01:01.842492 by Alyssia

I have been exposed to mold as well as many other people after reading their comments. Does anyone know of a doctor who specializes in mold treatment in Pennsylvania? I have been sent to an allergist, ENT, and Pulmonary, but no one is listening to me. I have asked about tests that can prove its mold and all they say is an allergist can test to see if your allergic. I know I' allergic. I need these tests done to prove I was exposed. Please someone help me.

On 2016-09-14 02:43:47.634282 by (mod)


You need an on-site expert. Unfortunately no one can reliably analyze understand diagnose or suggest remedy for mold contamination simply 3 - text. Check the experts directories that you find link to from the top of any inspectapedia web page, or check your local directory for and environmental expert or industrial hygienist who has experience with this particular kind of problem

On 2016-09-11 17:31:49.261179 by Tommie Watt

I was hospitalized related to living in an apartment that had mold I have pictures I almost died they had to call in a pulmonary physician to do a bronchoscopy and culture of my Lungs I need to talk with someone related to this problem

On 2016-08-24 16:50:13.028685 by (mod)


Start with your own personal physician; discuss your concerns; she or he may then refer you to a doctor who's a specialist in environmental medicine, respiratory illness, etc. Such expert doctors can also be located using information in MOLD DOCTORS - ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE.

On 2016-08-24 12:36:17.701116 by sheila

I started renting current apartment Dec 2015 though spent Daily/many hour remodel and clean of the apt. Since September 2015, was hospitalized Nov 2015 due severe heartburn, thought be heart attack, diagnose GERD,the building I live in has 4 apt. And severe damaged roof that sagging and wood rotting, severe structure damage as well, the back wall of my unit where meets ceiling has 1-2 gap where is separating, walls are getting large gaping cracks, the owner allowed raw sewage leak/sprayed literally all over basement every time flushed toilet , went on Dec-may

I bleached area two times daily, just try keep sanitary, kept saying had plans replace all water pipe in basement but no action, I have been very tired, no interest do ordinary things, irrationally feel as though my best friend 10+ years out get me more enemy , we no longer speak, weird skin sensation where Celt thick sticky coating , severe joint pain and swelling thought RA possibly, my throat dry n sometimes feels like its closing off airway wheezing, coughing, run nose and oddest of all I started to feel as though my apartment was infested with bugs but I couldn't see any bugs?

I could feel biting or a sting itching it almost felt like something was crawling on me I began picking up what I thought were bugs floor sink bathtub and I would back them up and I brought them into a entomologist who then referred me to my County Health Department who told me I had nothing more than a fiber if this went on for weeks it became an obsession trying to figure out what type of bug and then I started to think maybe it was a parasite possibly from the raw sewage it was not above was not a parasite I no longer have that sensation but the reason why I had it is still driving me absolutely crazy I can smell mildew and mold smell in my back hallway leading to the basement and in the bathroom the two main places that it's very distinct but my question is are my symptoms similar to those of toxic mold disease and how can it be diagnose /treated ?

there are so many more symptoms on my list I could go on for days and I've only lived in this apartment for 7 months tomorrow I move home with my mom at age 43 just to get out of this environment and I do have to add to this post we had terrible rain storm last tonight as my street to flood my driveway and I noticed that my bedroom wall above my window was trickling water the ceiling where it meets the wall noticed a yellowing I touched and it feels all mushy and there is a line of black mold as well also the window is covered with black mold spores in the wood from in the window is rotting can anybody suggest anything what type of doctor what is the first move a person should make in a situation such as this please I'm desperate here

On 2016-08-11 15:52:09.757039 by Tina

Does anyone know of any mold doctors within the state of Tennessee? I have been exposed nearly a year and I have seen doctors that won't listen and keep making misdiagnosis' Please anyone in Tennessee that may know where I need to go

On 2016-06-04 19:38:04.529714 by (mod)

American Academy of Environmental Medicine, 6505 E. Central Ave., #296, Wichita KS 67206 316-684-5500 -

On 2016-06-04 01:39:40.867217 by donna

Looking for MD in Memhis, TN that diagnosis mold toxicity. All of us nurses at my job has symptons. I had blood pulled but my do said he really wasn't familiar enough with it to do anything.

On 2016-04-14 14:13:05.607341 by (mod)


I agree that the percentage of doctors who have designed their practice to afford time to listen carefully and completely to patients, and then to give considered advice, is less than 100. If you cannot, by organizing and condensing your medical story and complaint to a brief, clear, but complete statement, get help from your doctor or don't feel confidence in her, you might want to ask for a referral to another expert.

On 2016-04-14 12:53:47.381482 by Sue

How do you find a doctor who will take it more seriously than just telling you to move? If 50% of housing has mold due to water damage it seems the only choice is to build a new house, or learn to live with it where you are. You can lessen it with dehumidifiers, but my apartment is already giving me symptoms and the humidity has been between 20% and 27%(there is no visible mold, except black or pink which appears in the new molded shower, which I keep cleaning.) So how do you live with this?

On 2016-03-27 21:22:52.660883 by (mod)

"Black mold exposure" is regrettably very misleading in re public health risks. There are harmless black molds and molds of most every other color that can be harmful.

However if your doctor has confirmed that you have a mold-related illness I'd expect her to refer you to a specialist in environmental medicine.

On 2016-03-27 20:18:43.813339 by

I have been exposed to black mold it's in my sinuses so bad my vision i s blurred I can hardly breathe it's eating me alive I live in Las Vegas NV is there any help here the hospital's here just ignore me

On 2016-01-18 04:45:27.806860 by Anonymous

Charlotte, I have heard of the Johnson Clinic in Richardson, TX. I don't know much about it, but a friend of mine took his girlfriend there for treatment. Hope this helps. Good luck!

On 2016-01-14 00:09:01.827817 by Charlotte Brown

How can I find a Mold Dr. in Texas , I have been exposed and I need more treatment

On 2016-01-12 00:11:45.666639 by Dawn Crosby

I went through hundreds of moldy oranges for a supermarket I worked for and now I have fibromyalgia but I don't think it is because doctor said he didn't know but in order to get paid by insurance he has to put something. Had several blood tests but I don't think mold was one they tested for. These oranges had several molds. The kicker is I don't have a job or medical because of this illness. Can you help? I live in Boise Idaho

Question: Can You Refer me to a Specific Mold Doctor or Specialist

I am emailing you to ask for a referral to a mold doctor. I live in an apartment infested with black mold. I have allergies, and suppressed immune system and as I have health insurance I cannot afford the co-pay to go see a doctor or be able to pay for the balance that my insurance does not meet.

Can you refer me to a doctor in my area that can assist me. I believe with all of my symptoms I have extensive exposure to black mold to a high level. I have researched the symptoms and realize I have mild skin breakouts in this past two weeks and respiratory problems that are indicative of black mold toxins. Please refer and advise if possible. I can travel to Portland if necessary. Can you also refer me to an agency that can help relocate me from this apartment? S.S.

(Dec 10, 2012) lisa said:

I really need some help,I HAVE read and researched so much of your articals,since my mom passed in 2008,cause alot of wierd things were happening here,please i am in need of some help with this home, I have contacted several certian referances that are responsible for public safty,but i get the door shut in every direction she purchased it in 1995,and my parents retired here

,I got home sick and moved here in 1997, every thing was new,steets,homes,trees,I helped her replace every thing from,drains,toilet,spikets she spent about another fifty thousand on windows,carpet garage door maintance,she told me some nice people came by,will tell later,and she had entered a program for senior citizens who live alone,or lost their other that did all the upkeep,so she told me they sprayed all new insulation,up stairs exept over the garage,

it was not heated they stopped right at area where they are in this little closet,water tank and furnace,the building inspector ok,d her brand new water tank,and trane forced heat/air, the first one she had installed 1998, then another one 2007and became very ill the water smelled like sewer,we had several major insect out breaks,gnats, they were so thick in the air outside,you couldnt help to swallow a dozon or two trying to get inside or a car,she called all over for anwsers,i thought she was just getting senile at 78,i lived 15 miles away,she was having major dizzy spells,and complained of nasty rashes,and odors,I


You can find a physician specializing in environmental medicine and mold related illness by taking the following steps:

Watch out: If you already know that your home has large areas of toxic or allergenic mold (more than 30 sq.ft.) then you should probably be taking steps asap to remove yourself from that environment asap - if you move, and if your home is proven to be badly mold contaminated, your possessions including soft goods, clothing, curtains, etc. will probably need to be cleaned. Do not let an amateur try performing a "mold cleanup job" in a very moldy home: the risk is that they make the problem worse by spreading moldy dust all over everything, making the workers or building occupants sick in the process.

Watch out: in the above message the writer refers to "black mold" - but not all black mold is harmful, and there are a great many molds of other colors that are at least as harmful or more harmful. Don't guess at the level of severity of a mold contamination by the color of the mold. See MOLD APPEARANCE - WHAT MOLD LOOKS LIKE and also Recognize Harmless Black Mold.

More Questions About Mold Causes and Finding a "Mold Doctor"

Why do I Have Mold and Mildew in My Closets and Bathrooms - due to my Air Conditioner? I Need a Mold Doctor

I have had a problem for almost 4 years in trying to get the installers of my new air conditioning unit to find out why I have mold and mildew in my closets and bathroom--never had any problems before installing the new unit. It was installed in April--mold was covering the metal vents in August after a hot summer--followed by their excuses as to why this would happen--then in November I started felling dizzy--having muscle aches and pains--went to the doctor and spent the next year and a half getting a diagnosis.

I was then diagnosed with fibromyalgia--I did not put the two together for awhile. I have contacted an attorney and have had the vent filters checked at a lab-tested positive for Aspergillus--Cladosporium--Hyphae--Penicillium/Aspergillus. The attorney says that I will need a Doctor that will be able to connect the symptoms to the diagnosis. I live 2 hours from Atlanta GA--Knoxville TN--Birmingham Al. Any information will be helpful. L.G., GA TN


A competent onsite inspection by an expert usually finds additional clues that help accurately diagnose a problem. That said, here are some things to consider:

Question: My mom has been living in a house with toxic black mold ...

My mom has been living in a house with toxic black mold in it for about 4 or 5 months. I want to get her seen by a doctor because she has seemed to be getting very sick. Are there any good doctors that specialize in mold that you can recommend for me? - A.R.


Question: suffering from mold poisoning, we need to find a specialist doctor

I was curious if you would be able to provide me with some help. My wife and I have been suffering from mold poisoning, and we have people remediating the issue, but we need to find a specialist doctor. I have tried many numbers in my area but they are either no longer working or too far from my location. Could you provide me with some doctor’s numbers who could help? I live in Deerfield Beach, FL 33442. Thanks for your time and help, -- C.P. 6/13/13


Sure C.P. in MOLD DOCTORS - ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE you will find some places to go for a doctor withe expertise in mold-related illness. Coincidentally we just recently added contact information for a physician in Florida. If you find that article unclear or wanting please let me know and I'll do my best to assist further.

Question: how to find an environmental medicine doctor in Canada

I'm from Calgary Alberta, Canada and I believe I need to find a doctor that has experience with mold illness. The place that I work, I believe has mold underneath their sinks. I've been sent home from work four or five times, two of which I ended up in hospital and one of those times, taken in an ambulance.

This is what happens: -Left side of my face swells up -My eyes hurt -I have a burning fever -Hands swell -Feet swell -Vomiting (sometimes) -Shortness of breath (sometimes) -Feelings of Constant Fatigue -Nausea -Weight Loss -Hair loss -Memory Loss "Short Term" -Chronic Sinus Infections -Pain in the Joints and Muscles -Swelling is painful -Skin is itchy -Losing coincidence (sometimes) -On going headaches for sometimes days

Any information or a point in the right directions to finding someone that can help me out in Calgary Alberta, Canada would be a huge weight off me. No doctor I've seen has been able to help me. None of them seem to take me seriously or want to do any testing on me that isn't an allergy test. I've had allergy test and they come back negative. More of my co-workers are starting to get ill with the same symptoms that I have. One of my co-workers was taken to hospital as well in the same week I was. - D. Alberta, Canada 11/27/2013


Thank you for the referral question, D. - it helps us realize where we need to work on making our text more clear or more complete and I have in fact added more links to environmental health resources for Canadians as I will provide at a link below. Regarding suspected environmental illness, often a competent onsite inspection of the home or other places where you spend time and made by an expert finds additional clues that would permit a more accurate, complete, and authoritative answer than we can give by email alone. You will find additional depth and detail in articles at our website.

That said, try contacting EHA Alberta - Environmental Health Association of Alberta P.O. Box 25 Main Edmonton, AB, Canada T5J 2G9, Tel: 780-289-5719 , Email (use the website contact form), Website:

​​ Let me know if the EHA for your province is helpful in locating a physician specializing in environmental medicine.

I've also posted additional and updated resources and contact information for Canadians at our home page for medical referral and doctor contacts in environmental medicine found in MOLD DOCTORS - ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE

Question: environmental medicine physicians in France

(Sept 3, 2012) Chris said:
I rent and i have brown mold on my ceiling in my bathroom and the owners and apt mgr dont fix it.. How can i go about not getting eviction notice if i push this

(Apr 20, 2015) frank barany said:
Hi. I'm not sure how current your list of medical doctors around the world who are specialists in the treatment of mold-related illness is, but do you know of any such specialists in France?




Vous souhaitez faire une recherche via Google ou d'autres moteurs de recherche pour un médecin français spécialisé dans la médecine environnementale.

par example, ici on peut trouvez un médecin français spécialisé dans la médecine environnementale

I have added more contact information for France in the article at MOLD DOCTORS - ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE.

Notice: InspectAPedia is an independent publisher of building, environmental, and forensic inspection, diagnosis, and repair information provided free to the public - we have no business nor financial connection with any manufacturer or service provider discussed at our website.

Continue reading at MOLD DOCTORS - ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE or select a topic from closely-related articles below, or see our complete INDEX to RELATED ARTICLES below.


Or see MOLD / ENVIRONMENTAL EXPERT, HIRE ? - when to hire a mold investigator or mold test consultant


Suggested citation for this web page

MOLD DOCTOR ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST FAQs at - online encyclopedia of building & environmental inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, & problem prevention advice.


Or use the SEARCH BOX found below to Ask a Question or Search InspectApedia


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Click to Show or Hide FAQs

Ask a Question or Search InspectApedia

Use the "Click to Show or Hide FAQs" link just above to see recently-posted questions, comments, replies, try the search box just below, or if you prefer, post a question or comment in the Comments box below and we will respond promptly.

Search the InspectApedia website

Comment Box is loading comments...

Technical Reviewers & References

Click to Show or Hide Citations & References

Publisher's Google+ Page by Daniel Friedman