BUILDING ENTRY for FLOOD DAMAGE: How to safely Enter & Inspect a Building After Flooding from Hurricanes Harvey & Irma
FLOOD DAMAGE REPAIR PRIORITIES - what to do first if flooded by Harvey or Irma
HURRICANE DAMAGE - safety & protection for hurricane Harvey & Irma damaged buildings
WIND DAMAGED BUILDINGS - IRMA's wind damage even when well above water or flood level
Avoid, detect, or repair building failures
Cure indoor environmental complaints / hazards
Find, diagnose & fix problems in building components, structure, mechanical systems
Got a Question? Ask in the search box
- free online encyclopedia of building & environmental inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, & problem prevention advice, including all residential & light commercial building components, materials, & mechanical systems.
Illustrated, detailed, in-depth research on finding, diagnosing, testing, correcting, & preventing building defects, energy conservation, & indoor environmental hazards.
Research on building failures & education course material on building failures & building environmental inspection testing, diagnosis, & repair.
InspectAPedia is supported by ads placed on our pages by Google. InspectAPedia tolerates no conflicts of interest. We have no relationship with advertisers, products, or services discussed at this website.
FLOODS IN BUILDINGS - PRIORITIES - see this checklist of what to do first for safety and to protect a flooded building from further damage
Our home page for articles giving in-depth information about building flood damage assessment, cleanup & repair procedures, and flood damage prevention & protection is at FLOOD DAMAGE - home page
- AMERICAN RED CROSS & OTHER NUMBERS
- BUILDING ENTRY for DAMAGE ASSESSMENT: How to safely Enter & Inspect a Building After Flooding from Hurricane Harvey
- BRICK VENEER WALL LEAKS in FLOOD PRONE AREAS - what to do if water enters at brick wall weep & drain openings
- BUILDING SAFETY HAZARDS GUIDE - we list major building & indoor environmental safety hazards, and we discuss how to detect and protect from safety & environmental hazards in homes and other buildings
- CRAWL SPACE SAFETY ADVICE - when, where, how and why to enter a crawl space to inspect for damage
- CRAWL SPACE DRYOUT - home - steps needed to dry out a crawl space and how to keep it dry and clean
- DRINKING WATER - EMERGENCY PURIFICATION - how to sanitize drinking water in an emergency
- DRINKING WATER EMERGENCY SOURCES - don't drink water from wells that were flooded. Here is a list of places to find emergency drinking water after a flood or other disaster
- DUCT SYSTEM FLOOD or WATER DAMAGE - what to do about ductwork that has been flooded
- ELECTRICAL SAFETY for FLOOD DAMAGE INSPECTORS: How to safely Check an Electrical System after flooding caused by Hurricanes or other Storms or Flooding
- FEMA CONTACT INFO & TELEPHONES
- FLOOD CONTAMINATED WELL RESTORE & PROTECT - water from flooded wells is not safe to drink - how to clean and restore a flood-polluted water well
- FLOOD & DISASTER BUILDING DAMAGE REPAIR PROCEDURES - home, Emergency Contact Numbers
- FLOODS IN BUILDINGS - PRIORITIES - what to do first for safety and to protect a flooded building from further damage
- FLOOD DAMAGE ASSESSMENT, SAFETY & CLEANUP - how to assess flood damage and clean up flood damage
- FLOODED CAR DETECTION - watch out for used car scams: how to avoid a car that was a total loss due to flood damage
- FOUNDATION INSPECTION for FLOOD DAMAGE - is a flooded structure safe or in danger of collapse
- HEATING EQUIPMENT, FLOOD DAMAGE REPAIR - how to restore salvageable heaters, water heaters, air conditioning equipment to use after flooding
- HURRICANE DAMAGE - home page, index to advice & how-to articles.
- MOBILE HOMES, DOUBLEWIDES, TRAILERS - inspection, repair, storm damage & wind damage, MOBILE HOME WIND RATINGS
- MOLD ACTION GUIDE - what to do about mold in buildings after a flood, & MOLD PREVENTION AFTER FLOODING
- MOLD CLEANUP AFTER A FLOOD: How to Prevent or Remove Mold After Flooding from Hurricane Harvey & Irma and similar hurricanes, floods, storms. Includes a checklist of key steps to minimize mold damage after a building flood from earthquake, flood, or a hurricane or similar storm or disaster.
- SEPTIC SYSTEMS & FLOODS - how to get the septic system working after a flood
- DISASTER ZONE TOILET GUIDE - various ways to make your own emergency toilet, also see camping toilets at TOILETS, EMERGENCY
- FLOOD DAMAGE RFERENCES - additional resources for building flood damage assessment, repairs, assistance
Journalists are responsible for following the truth wherever it may guide them. - David Carr, The New York Times - 2013 
Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one. - A.J. Leibling (1904 - 1963), "Do You Belong in Journalism", The New Yorker, 14 May 1960, p. 105
Publicity is justly commended as a remedy for social and industrial diseases. Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants; electric light the most efficient policeman. - Louis Dembitz Brandeis (1856 - 1941), "What Publicity Can Do", in [PDF] Other People's Money—and How Bankers Use It, Frederick A. Stokes Co., Publishers, New York (1914), p. 92.
It has often and confidently been asserted, that man's origin can never be known: but ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man - 1871
No government ought to be without censors; and where the press is free no one ever will. - Thomas Jefferson letter to George Washington, September 9, 1792
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. - First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, 15 December, 1791
The freedom of the press is one of the greatest bulwarks of liberty, and can never be restrained but by despotic Governments. - U.S. Declaration of Rights, 1776
Width of this window
Continue reading at ABOUT INSPECTAPEDIA.COM or select a topic from the major website topics found at the menu along the top of this page or choose among our policies and site background articles from the More Reading links below.
Or try the InspectApedia SEARCH BOX found in the page top menu or near the bottom of any InspectApedia page.
Suggested citation for this web page
InspectApedia.com - online encyclopedia of building & environmental inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, & problem prevention advice.
InspectApedia.com is a secure website providing SSL support. Access our website supports references to
References to http://inspectapedia.com URLs are converted to https://inspectapedia.com
Additional website reader protection from malware is provided by
The design and content found at InspectAPedia.com® are © Copyright protected, All Rights Reserved
Contents of this website may not be copied except in hard copy printed form as described at WEBSITE CONTENT USE POLICY
Please post questions or comments at the end of an appropriate InspectApedia.com article. If you're not sure where that might be, Try the search box just below.
Search the InspectApedia website
Technical Reviewers & References
Click to Show or Hide Citations & References
The New York Times, B1, 1 July 2013
Books & Articles on Building & Environmental Inspection, Testing, Diagnosis, & Repair
- Our recommended books about building & mechanical systems design, inspection, problem diagnosis, and repair, and about indoor environment and IAQ testing, diagnosis, and cleanup are at the InspectAPedia Bookstore. Also see our Book Reviews - InspectAPedia.
Carson, Dunlop & Associates Ltd., 120 Carlton Street Suite 407, Toronto ON M5A 4K2. Tel: (416) 964-9415 1-800-268-7070 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. The firm provides professional home inspection services & home inspection education & publications. Alan Carson is a past president of ASHI, the American Society of Home Inspectors. Thanks to Alan Carson and Bob Dunlop, for permission for InspectAPedia to use text excerpts from The Home Reference Book & illustrations from The Illustrated Home. Carson Dunlop Associates' provides extensive home inspection education and report writing material.
- The Illustrated Home illustrates construction details and building components, a reference for owners & inspectors.
Special Offer: For a 5% discount on any number of copies of the Illustrated Home purchased as a single order Enter INSPECTAILL in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space.
- TECHNICAL REFERENCE GUIDE to manufacturer's model and serial number information for heating and cooling equipment, useful for determining the age of heating boilers, furnaces, water heaters is provided by Carson Dunlop, Associates, Toronto - Carson Dunlop Weldon & Associates
Special Offer: Carson Dunlop Associates offers InspectAPedia readers in the U.S.A. a 5% discount on any number of copies of the Technical Reference Guide purchased as a single order. Just enter INSPECTATRG in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space.
- The Home Reference Book - the Encyclopedia of Homes, Carson Dunlop & Associates, Toronto, Ontario, 25th Ed., 2012, is a bound volume of more than 450 illustrated pages that assist home inspectors and home owners in the inspection and detection of problems on buildings. The text is intended as a reference guide to help building owners operate and maintain their home effectively. Field inspection worksheets are included at the back of the volume.
Special Offer: For a 10% discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference Book purchased as a single order. Enter INSPECTAHRB in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space. InspectAPedia.com editor Daniel Friedman is a contributing author.
Or choose the The Home Reference eBook for PCs, Macs, Kindle, iPad, iPhone, or Android Smart Phones.
Special Offer: For a 5% discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference eBook purchased as a single order. Enter INSPECTAEHRB in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space.
Building inspection education & report writing systems from Carson, Dunlop & Associates Ltd
- Commercial Building Inspection Courses - protocol ASTM Standard E 2018-08 for Property Condition Assessments
- Home Inspection Education Courses including home study & live classes at eleven colleges & universities.
- Home Inspection Education Home Study Courses - ASHI@Home Training 10-course program.
Special Offer: Carson Dunlop Associates offers InspectAPedia readers in the U.S.A. a 5% discount on these courses: Enter INSPECTAHITP in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space. InspectAPedia.com editor Daniel Friedman is a contributing author.
- The Horizon Software System manages business operations,scheduling, & inspection report writing using Carson Dunlop's knowledge base & color images. The Horizon system runs on always-available cloud-based software for office computers, laptops, tablets, iPad, Android, & other smartphones
Publisher's Google+ Page by Daniel Friedman