Home Inspector Education, Home Inspection Methodology, Home Inspection Standards & Ethics
- HOME INSPECTOR EDUCATION - CONTENTS: Home inspection education course list & education sources. Information on the training needed to become a home inspector. Checklists vs Narrative Reports
- POST a QUESTION or READ FAQs about where to obtain home inspection & commercial building inspection education, training, classes, college courses & home study courses or distant education courses
This document describes & gives sources for home inspection education classes, course offerings, and online home inspector education articles and provides links to online technical articles on
home inspection methodology, including advanced home inspection methods and inspection for special topics
such as environmental hazards, above ground or buried oil tanks, sink holes, and methodologies for the inspection
of any complex system.
Green links show where you are. © Copyright 2015 InspectApedia.com, All Rights Reserved.
Home Inspection Education & Methods
The advanced home inspection methods presented stress methods for increasing the
detection of significant or safety defects at properties, technical expertise, and ethical conduct. Advice
is provided for people interested in becoming a home inspector as well as for home buyers or owners who
need to hire a home inspector. Also see our list of home inspection topics at the "More Reading" links at the bottom of this article . The following is a list of home inspection courses, classes, conferences, and schools.
- The Home Reference Book - the Encyclopedia of Homes, The Home Reference Book by Carson Dunlop, 27th edition, © 2015 is a 472 page book that has been an industry standard since 1989.
An amazing home management tool, this book combines an elegant presentation with high-quality information, delivered in clear, simple language. The book includes life cycles and costs for over 200 house components and a full home maintenance program. InspectAPedia.com editor Daniel Friedman is a contributing author.
Special Offer: InspectAPedia customers receive a 25% DISCOUNT when purchasing the book at carsondunlop.com with the promo code INSPECTAHRB
Here are purchase links for US and Canadian visitors:
The Home Reference Book - USA
The Home Reference Book - CANADA
Or choose the The Home Reference eBook for PCs, Macs, Kindle, iPad, iPhone, or Android Smart Phones. Special Offer: For a 5% discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference eBook purchased as a single order. Enter INSPECTAEHRB in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space.
- ADVANCED HOME INSPECTION METHODS & skills how to spot hard-to-see but very important defects and hazards in buildings or any other complex system being examined
- ADVICE on BECOMING a HOME INSPECTOR - opinions and tips from experienced home inspection professionals
- AFCIs ARC FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPTERS 2008 National Electrical Code Update on AFCIs and GFCIs in homes
- ASHI@HOME home inspection training program - an ASHI version of the Carson Dunlop Home Study Course. Contact the company at 800-268-7070.
- Carson Dunlop's Home Study Course for Home Inspectors can be examined online at that company's website.
Carson Dunlop also offers the ASHI@HOME home inspection training program - an ASHI version of the Carson Dunlop Home Study Course. Contact the company at 800-268-7070.
- The ASHI School - 888-884-0440
Learn By Doing, developed by Carson & Dunlop Associates Ltd.
- BECOME A HOME INSPECTOR, HOW TO How to enter the home inspection profession (or business)
- BUILDING DEFECTS LISTS - curriculum recommendations for home inspector education , includes recommended knowledge base, inspection skills, and typical defects for each major area of residential and light commercial building inspections. Focus is on the identification and reporting of building and building mechanical system defects and hazards, rather than (the more narrow and new-construction-focused building code compliance).
- Certification for Home Inspectors Professional associations, licensing
Commercial Building Inspection Course - Carson Dunlop
- Environmental Inspection & Testing - home page for information on mold and indoor environment problems
- Ethics for Home Inspectors a code of ethics and ethical guidelines for home inspectors
- Home Inspection Classes: Foundation Cracks, Leans, Bulges how to diagnose foundation damage
- Home Inspection Courses: Insulation & Ventilation online guide to inspection of building insulation and ventilation
- Home Inspection Methods: Fuel Gas Piping how to inspect and report defects in LP or natural gas piping
- Home Inspection Course on Radiant Heat: Radiant Heating Mistakes to Avoid
- How to Get the Most From a Home Inspection Advice for home buyers when ordering and attending a home inspection
- HOW MUCH SHOULD YOU PAY for PROFESSIONAL SERVICES? - advice on home inspection fees: paying too little can be a worse mistake than paying too much for a home inspection. Ruskin quote on fees.
- HOME INSPECTOR EDUCATION lists home inspection training, courses, home study programs, texts, and references for home inspectors and other building inspectors and building diagnosticians as well as for building, structural, and indoor envionment forensic investigators
- HOME INSPECTION FRANCHISES as a leg up for starting work or as an education source
- Home Inspections Include what should a professional home inspection include
- Home Inspection Report Suggestions what makes a useful versus a "no content" home inspection report?
- Home Inspection Report Writing - how to write a home inspection report, advice from experts at Carson Dunlop
- Web-Based Inspection Reporting: Horizon: Web-Based Home Inspection & Commercial Inspection Writing & Business Management Software from Carson Dunlop
Advanced Home & Building Inspection Methods Courses & Papers
Historic Homes, Home Improvement Costs, Home Research
- Can X-Ray Vision Warn of Sink Holes? in Florida or elsewhere
- Developing your X-Ray Vision - 6th Ed. The Science of Building Inspections - advanced home inspection techniques including "The Limits of Vision," "Inattentional Blindness," "Invasive Inspection Methods," "Missed Defects," & "Contextual Inspection," "Termite Inspections," "Moisture & Building Water Entry," © Daniel Friedman 2006-1987
- Developing your X-Ray Vision - 5th Ed.- ppt slides Presentation slides © 2005 Daniel Friedman
- The Nature of Vision, Inspecting Complex Systems,why inspectors don't see certain defects and miss important omissions
- Home Inspection Report Language Library: Gas Fuel Piping or Tank Faults Basic advice - home inspection report language suggestions
- Home Inspection Report Language Library: Buried Oil Tanks, Basic home buyer advice - home inspection report language suggestions
- Home Inspection Report Language Library: Defects in Oil Tank Installations, Tanks, and Heating Oil Piping
- Home Inspection Report Language Library: Oil Tanks text file list © Oil and Other Storage Tank Leaks, Testing, Abandonment, Inspection - UST home inspection report language files - Reference List
- How to identify a Sears Catalog Kit house
- See also Website Contents for topical research papers, on defect recognition, reporting, repair on individual Building topics or components
- See also Daniel Friedman's CV-list of technical papers and presentations - © cc's available.
Home Inspection Standards, Ethics, American Society of Home Inspectors-ASHI Certification
- AGE of a BUILDING - how to determine - how to determine the age of buildings, building materials, building mechanical systems: how old is the air conditioner, boiler, furnace, water heater, roof, siding, other building products
- Sears Houses: How to identify Sears catalog kit houses photos and tips for identifying these interesting homes.
- HISTORIC HOMES - inspection, common defects, troubleshooting, repair
- Historic buildings Links to other articles: Sears Houses, How old is a House, Old House Materials & Repairs
Continue reading at HOME & BUILDING INSPECTION or select a topic from the More Reading links or topic ARTICLE INDEX shown below.
Or see BUILDING DEFECTS LISTS
Suggested citation for this web page
HOME INSPECTOR EDUCATION at InspectApedia.com - online encyclopedia of building & environmental inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, & problem prevention advice.
Green link shows where you are in this article series.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Click to Show or Hide FAQs
No FAQs have been posted for this page. Try the search box below or CONTACT US by email if you cannot find the answer you need at InspectApedia.
Ask a Question or Search InspectApedia
Use the "Click to Show or Hide FAQs" link just above to see recently-posted questions, comments, replies, try the search box just below, or if you prefer, post a question or comment in the Comments box below and we will respond promptly.
Search the InspectApedia website
Technical Reviewers & References
Publisher's Google+ Page by Daniel Friedman
Click to Show or Hide Citations & References
- Carson, Dunlop & Associates Ltd., 120 Carlton Street Suite 407, Toronto ON M5A 4K2. (416) 964-9415 1-800-268-7070 email@example.com. The firm provides professional home inspection services & home inspection education & publications. Alan Carson is a past president of ASHI, the American Society of Home Inspectors. Thanks to Alan Carson and Bob Dunlop, for permission for InspectAPedia to use text excerpts from The Home Reference Book & illustrations from The Illustrated Home. Carson Dunlop Associates' home inspection education products include
- The ASHI-adopted Home Inspection Training Program, and Commercial Building Inspection Courses
- The Home Inspection Home Study Course, and publications such as
- The Home Reference Book, a reference & inspection report product for building owners & inspectors.
Special Offer: Carson Dunlop Associates offers InspectAPedia readers in the U.S.A. a ten percent discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference Book purchased as a single order. Just enter HRBUS10 in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space. Note: InspectAPedia.com ® editor Daniel Friedman is a contributing author.
- The Home Reference eBook, an electronic version for PCs, the iPad, iPhone, & Android smart phones
- Home Inspection Report writing materials, including the Horizon Software System that manages business operations, scheduling, & inspection report writing using Carson Dunlop's knowledge base & color images. The Horizon system runs on always-available cloud-based software for office computers, laptops, tablets, iPad, Android, & other smartphones.
- The Illustrated Home illustrates construction details and building components, a reference for owners & inspectors
- Carson Dunlop's Home Study Course for Home Inspectors can be examined online at that company's website. More about home inspector education and other educational materials is organized at InspectAPedia.com at HOME INSPECTOR EDUCATION.
- Carson Dunlop also offers information about the ASHI@HOME home inspection training program - an ASHI version of the Carson Dunlop Home Study Course. Contact the company at 800-268-7070.
- Casey O'Malley Associates - Michael Casey and Kevin O'Malley, 866-363-1330 - Direct 703-969-7070 - private education home inspector converences: inspectionconference.com
- Home Inspection Reports - a Critique narrative vs. checklist type home inspection reports
- American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) Official Website
- Basement Moisture Control, U.S. Department of Energy
- Building Pathology, Deterioration, Diagnostics, and Intervention, Samuel Y. Harris, P.E., AIA, Esq., ISBN 0-471-33172-4, John Wiley & Sons, 2001 [General building science-DF] ISBN-10: 0471331724
- Building Pathology: Principles and Practice, David Watt, Wiley-Blackwell; 2 edition (March 7, 2008) ISBN-10: 1405161035 ISBN-13: 978-1405161039
Building inspection education & report writing systems from Carson, Dunlop & Associates Ltd
Books & Articles on Building & Environmental Inspection, Testing, Diagnosis, & Repair
- The Home Reference Book - the Encyclopedia of Homes, Carson Dunlop & Associates, Toronto, Ontario, 25th Ed., 2012, $69.00 U.S., is a bound volume of more than 450 illustrated pages that assist home inspectors and home owners in the inspection and detection of problems on buildings. The text is intended as a reference guide to help building owners operate and maintain their home effectively. Field inspection worksheets are included at the back of the volume.
Or choose the The Home Reference eBook for using this reference on PCs, Macs, Kindle, iPad, iPhone, or Android Smart Phones
Note: InspectAPedia.com ® editor Daniel Friedman is a contributing author.