Photograph of a water pressure tank air volume controlAir Volume Control (AVC) Replacement

InspectAPedia tolerates no conflicts of interest. We have no relationship with advertisers, products, or services discussed at this website.

Air volume control (AVC) replacement:

How to replace the air volume control at a water tank or water pressure tank.

What alternative AVCs or air volume control types work best on different water tank & pump combinations?

Green links show where you are. © Copyright 2017, All Rights Reserved.

How to Replace a Water Tank AVC - Air Volume Control Valve

Reader Question: Can I Replace a Round Diaphragm AVC with a Rectangular US Gauge Type 300L or 310WJ?

I was wondering where I could get a Rectangular Air Volume control with no copper tube – D.W. Abingdon VA


U.S. Gauge makes rectangular type AVCs, as we illustrate above. So do some other companies.

Watch out: rectangular AVCs like the U.S. Gauge unit shown above and illustrated here from the company's product literature, incorporates a float inside the water tank. If you look closely at our photos you 'll see that the gauge mounts through a 1 1/4" diameter ANPT threaded pipe connection into the water tank.

Also the mounting location of the gauge has to be correct - if your tank tapping is in the wrong place on the water tank, the float may not function properly. Check your water tank to see if there is a tapping in the right location. And see the AVC product instructions and check with the manufacturer's customer service before trying this swap.

US Gauge air volume control valve

Watch out: also to be sure to order the proper air volume control model. For example the U.S. Gauge AVC Type 300L is designed for shallow well operation, and the U.S. Gauge Type 310WJ Air Volume Control is designed for deep well operation. These devices do not work in an identical fashion, so buying the wrong model for your well would be a mistake.

The shallow-well U.S. Gauge 300L AVC, for example, does not eliminate the tubing connecting the device to the water pump.

On this gauge, (photo at left, U.S. Gauge product literature), includes a brass fitting at the gauge under-side. You can see it in the bottom left of the photo at left.

That brass fitting is an air inlet valve that connects through a plastic (polyethylene) tube to a snifter valve that is mounted on the well pump itself.

Depending on the AVC float position and operation, the snifter is a one-way valve that allows air into the pump and thus into the incoming water supply and into the water pressure tank. When enough air is in the water tank the float responds and closes the air inlet valve. Quoting from US Gauge's Type 300L AVC installation instructions:

Shallow Well Operation - Type 300L: When the water level is high, the float, secured to a float rod extending through a flexible dividing wall, opens an air inlet valve in the body of the control. The air inlet valve is connected through 48” long polyethylene tubing to a snifter valve on the pump and has no direct connection into the tank.

The snifter valve admits air into the pump but prevents the water in the pump from escaping back through it. Air is drawn into the pump through the air inlet valve, connecting tubing and snifter valve and carried out with the water into the tank.

This operation continues until the volume of air increases to the proper amount, at which time the float closes the air inlet valve, shutting off the supply of air to the pump. The optimum relationship between the volume of air and water in the tank is thus maintained.[1][2]

The deep-well U.S. Gauge Type 310WJ Air Volume Control, as we described and illustrated above at Rectangular Air Volume Controls, does not include this tubing connection for a snifter valve and its operation is a bit different. The Type 310WJ AVC for deep wells also uses a float inserted into the water tank interior. But there is no external fitting for a tubing connection.

A chamber inside the AVC uses an adjustable pressure relief valve to allow excess air to escape from the valve when the tank water level (and thus the float level) drops. That process explains the air volume control device "hiss" that we discuss at What is that Hissing Sound.

So if pressure in the tank exceeds the AVC pressure setting air is vented from the water tank. The device is adjustable between 15 and 40 psi, and is factory set to 25 psi. Quoting from US Gauge's Type 310WJ AVC installation instructions:

Deep Well Operation - Type 310WJ When there is an excess of air and the water level is low, the float opens the main valve of the control, permitting air to be vented to a chamber within the control. This chamber contains an adjustable pressure relief valve which exhausts the excess air to the atmosphere, providing the pressure in the tank is higher than the relief valve setting.

As the float rises with the increase in water level the main valve closes, trapping the remaining volume of air in the tank. The optimum relationship between the volume of air and water in the tank is thus maintained.[1][2]

How to Replace a Brady Air Volume Control - Brady AVCs

B rady air volume control for a water tank - contact Baker Water Systems or Brady at numbers given in this article - (C)

2016/02/22 peggy said:

How do you replace Brady air volumn control on water well?

This question was posted originally at the home page for this topic: WATER TANK AIR VOLUME CONTROLS

Reply: Manufacturer's recommended steps when replacing a Brady AVC

Bradg AV100 air volume control -  &


Air volume control replacement is basically a bolt-on repair at the water pressure tank, once you've drained pressure and enough water from the tank that you don't get squirted during the removal and replacement. The new AVC will mount where the old one did, usually on the side of the water pressure tank.

Brady air volume controls are now distributed by Baker Water Systems Division 800-523-0224. Other contact information is given below. The company's product line includes repairable air volume controls that can be renovated using a factory-supplied repair kit.

Or you can simply replace the entire device as it retails for less than $40. U.S.

You want to repair your AVC instead of replacing it, you'll need to find the part number cast into the body of your air volume control (such as AV30BLK or AV80IND) before buying a repair kit or replacement unit.

The following Brady AVC control installation suggestions are a direct quote from the manufacturer whose contact Information I'll give below

1. Check the system for leaks. Your Air Volume Control will not replenish enough air to overcome leaks in the system.

2. Make sure that the side of the control marked “tank side” is closest to the tank. The control will not function otherwise.

3. Your Brady Air Volume Control should be installed into the 1/4” or 3/8” N.P.T. tank port above and closest to the discharge port as shown below.

4. Connecting the tubing (vacuum line) to the suction port located at the center of the control and the suction port on the pump. You Air Volume
Control works on a vacuum principle, so make sure that the tubing connected to the pump is clear and not obstructed or kinked.

5. A snug fit is all that is necessary for all connections. Do not over tighten!

6. For best results and easy installation, use the Brady UK-1 Installation kit.

Contact the manufacturer if you need parts, the installation kit, or more help:


Continue reading at AIR VOLUME CONTROLS, GET RID OF or select a topic from closely-related articles below, or see our complete INDEX to RELATED ARTICLES below.

Or see AIR VOLUME CONTROL REPAIR for repair procedures for Brady and other air volume control devices


Suggested citation for this web page

AIR VOLUME CONTROLS, REPLACE at - online encyclopedia of building & environmental inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, & problem prevention advice.


Or use the SEARCH BOX found below to Ask a Question or Search InspectApedia


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Click to Show or Hide FAQs

Ask a Question or Search InspectApedia

Use the "Click to Show or Hide FAQs" link just above to see recently-posted questions, comments, replies, try the search box just below, or if you prefer, post a question or comment in the Comments box below and we will respond promptly.

Search the InspectApedia website

Comment Box is loading comments...

Technical Reviewers & References

Click to Show or Hide Citations & References

Publisher's Google+ Page by Daniel Friedman