How to Find & Use the Air Inlet Valve for Putting Air into a Water Pressure Tank
- WATER TANK AIR INLET VALVE - Water Tank Air Valves or Schrader Valves for Adding Water to the Pressure Tank, how to find and use the air valve. How to fix or replace a leaky water tank air valve or Schrader valve or "tire valve". How to use the air inlet valve on a water tank to adjust the air pressure, a step in curing water well pump short-cycling. Definition of Schrader Valves & Dill Valves.
- POST a QUESTION or READ FAQs about finding and using the water tank air valve to adjust the pressure tank air charge
InspectAPedia tolerates no conflicts of interest. We have no relationship with advertisers, products, or services discussed at this website.
This article describes the location, use and repair of water tank air valves or schrader valves for adding air to the water pressure tank - the water tank air inlet valve. It's no coincidence that on many water pressure tanks you'll see what looks just like a tire valve (the black capped device at the red arrow in our photo just above).
This air valve provides an easy way to adjust the air charge in water pressure tanks.
Green links show where you are. © Copyright 2015 InspectApedia.com, All Rights Reserved.
WATER TANK AIR INLET VALVE - SCHRADER VALVES
Captive air water tanks that use an internal bladder to keep water and air separate, such as the Well-X-Trol™ water
pressure tank, will display an air valve, usually on top of the water tank, and often red in color such as shown
in this photograph.
Older steel water tanks and even some modern bladder type tanks also may include an air input valve or "schrader valve"
to permit air to be pumped into the tank, but it may be located in various locations.
In these installations the air valve may be located anywhere on or near the water tank such that air pumped into the
valve will flow into the water tank itself.
You should not normally need to use the air valve on a water tank with an internal bladder, other than possibly an adjustment at initial installation. Even then, usually the factory air charge is the correct one for most well pump systems.
To use the water tank air valve to put air into a water pressure tank that does not use an internal bladder, see
The air valve may be found on the tank top, the tank side, on piping near
the bottom of the tank such as this black-capped
Schrader valve just above the relief valve in this photo,
or perhaps elsewhere.
But logically you'd expect to see such a valve (if it's present at all)
in a location where air inserted into the valve (say from a tire pump or from a can of compressed air) will flow into the water tank and not just out into the building water supply piping or water pump.
See WATER TANK AIR, HOW TO ADD for step by step details of when, why, and how to add air to a water tank.
See WATER TANK AIR HOW MUCH TO ADD for notes on how much air pressure to use in a water tank.
Here is a close up view of the typical air valve or schrader valve located on the top of a bladder type captive air
water tank. These tanks come from the factory with air pre-charged and you do not normally need to change the air volume or
pressure in these tanks.
Notice that the warning label surrounding this air valve indicates that "WARNING! Removal of cap by persons other than authorized dealer may void warranty". This is because the
manufacturer is not going to accept responsibility if you over pressurized the tanks's internal system and cause damage.
Furthermore, over pressurizing any tank of any type beyond its working pressure is very dangerous and can cause the
tank to rupture or explode. That's why we require a pressure relief valve on any pressurized tank, even a water tank.
Guide to Repairing Leaky Water Tank Air Valves
Sometimes when we remove the cap from a water tank air valve, or more likely when we try pumping air into the water tank at the water tank's air valve, we're troubled by water (or air) leaking back out at us from the valve - making us sorry we touched it in the first place.
If the air valve or "tire valve" or Schrader valve on your water tank is leaking water or air there are a few wonderfully easy steps you can take. We describe how to clean an air valve to get it to stop leaking, a simple emergency way to stop a leaky air valve on a water tank, and how to replace the valve stem core if that's needed.
These details are given step-by-step at WATER TANK AIR VALVE REPAIRS
To use the water tank air valve to put air into a water pressure tank, see WATER TANK AIR ADD AT AIR VALVE and also WATER TANK AIR HOW MUCH TO ADD.
Definition of Schrader Valves & Dill Valves
Definition: Schrader valves (American Valves) and Dill Valves are used prinicipally on vehicle tires to insert (or release) air to a specified pressure. 
Schrader or Dill valves are also used, often in modified form with an internal spring with strength matched to the application where air inlet or outlet or water or air pressure management require adjustment on water pressure tanks and similar systems.
The Schrader valve or Dill valve (two different companies) consists of an externally and internally threaded metal stem.
The external valve base and stem connect (using appropriate seals or washers) to the vehicle wheel rim, or in plumbing to a water pressure tank or water piping at an appropriate location.
The internal stem of the valve accepts a replacable part, the actual control valve that opens (when a center pin is pressed) to admit air or to release air.
In reverse, pressure inside the system pushing against the valve stem core closes the valve when its center pin is not depressed. 
Similar control valves but of different diameters are used in other countries than those comprising North America.
An explanation of what water tank air valves are, what they look like, how to find them, is at WATER TANK AIR INLET VALVE.
If your well pump is short cycling (WATER PUMP SHORT CYCLING) this little air valve and a bicycle pump may be all you need to correct the trouble.
Continue reading at WATER TANK AIR VALVE REPAIRS or select a topic from the More Reading links shown below.
WATER TANK AIR VOLUME CONTROLS
SNIFTER & DRAIN BACK VALVES - automatic devices that insert air into water tanks that do not include an internal-bladder
WATER TANK AIR, HOW TO ADD
Suggested citation for this web page
WATER TANK AIR INLET VALVE at InspectApedia.com - online encyclopedia of building & environmental inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, & problem prevention advice.
Green link shows where you are in this article series.
- AIR DISCHARGE at FAUCETS, FIXTURES
- CHECK VALVES, WATER SUPPLY
- COSTS: WATER PUMP & TANK
- PUMPS USED in BUILDINGS
- TANK TYPES: EXPANSION, OIL, SEPTIC WATER, ALL
- WATER CONSERVATION MEASURES - home
- WATER HEATERS - home
- WATER PRESSURE LOSS DIAGNOSIS & REPAIR - home
- WATER PUMPS, TANKS, TESTS, WELLS, REPAIRS - home
- WATER PUMP REPAIR GUIDE - home
- WATER SOFTENERS & CONDITIONERS - home
- WATER TANK: USES, TROUBLESHOOTING - home
- WATER SUPPLY & DRAIN PIPING - home
- WELLS CISTERNS & SPRINGS - home
- FAQs below discusses field reports of problems & solutions for this topic
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Click to Show or Hide FAQs
No FAQs have been posted for this page. Try the search box below or CONTACT US by email if you cannot find the answer you need at InspectApedia.
Ask a Question or Search InspectApedia
Use the "Click to Show or Hide FAQs" link just above to see recently-posted questions, comments, replies, try the search box just below, or if you prefer, post a question or comment in the Comments box below and we will respond promptly.
Search the InspectApedia website
Technical Reviewers & References
Publisher's Google+ Page by Daniel Friedman
Click to Show or Hide Citations & References
- Carson, Dunlop & Associates Ltd., 120 Carlton Street Suite 407, Toronto ON M5A 4K2. (416) 964-9415 1-800-268-7070 email@example.com. The firm provides professional home inspection services & home inspection education & publications. Alan Carson is a past president of ASHI, the American Society of Home Inspectors. Thanks to Alan Carson and Bob Dunlop, for permission for InspectAPedia to use text excerpts from The Home Reference Book & illustrations from The Illustrated Home. Carson Dunlop Associates' provides:
- Commercial Building Inspection Courses - protocol ASTM Standard E 2018-08 for Property Condition Assessments
- Home Inspection Education Courses including home study & live classes at eleven colleges & universities.
- Home Inspection Education Home Study Courses - ASHI@Home Training 10-course program.
Special Offer: Carson Dunlop Associates offers InspectAPedia readers in the U.S.A. a 5% discount on these courses: Enter INSPECTAHITP in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space. InspectAPedia.com editor Daniel Friedman is a contributing author.
- The Home Reference Book, a reference & inspection report product for building owners & inspectors.
Special Offer: For a 10% discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference Book purchased as a single order. Enter INSPECTAHRB in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space. InspectAPedia.com editor Daniel Friedman is a contributing author.
- The Home Reference eBook, an electronic version for PCs, the iPad, iPhone, & Android smart phones.
Special Offer: For a 5% discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference eBook purchased as a single order. Enter inspectaehrb in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space.
- The Illustrated Home illustrates construction details and building components, a reference for owners & inspectors.
Special Offer: For a 5% discount on any number of copies of the Illustrated Home purchased as a single order Enter INSPECTAILL in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space.
- The Horizon Software System manages business operations,scheduling, & inspection report writing using Carson Dunlop's knowledge base & color images. The Horizon system runs on always-available cloud-based software for office computers, laptops, tablets, iPad, Android, & other smartphones.
- Eric Galow, Galow Homes, Lagrangeville, NY. Mr. Galow can be reached by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone: 914-474-6613. Mr. Galow specializes in residential construction including both new homes and repairs, renovations, and additions.
- Mark Cramer Inspection Services Mark Cramer, Tampa Florida, Mr. Cramer is a past president of ASHI, the American Society of Home Inspectors and is a Florida home inspector and home inspection educator. Contact Mark Cramer at: 727-595-4211 mark@BestTampaInspector.com 11/06
- Roger Hankey is principal of Hankey and Brown home inspectors, Eden Prairie, MN. Mr. Hankey is a past chairman of the ASHI Standards Committee. Mr. Hankey has served in other ASHI professional and leadership roles. Contact Roger Hankey at: 952 829-0044 - email@example.com. Mr. Hankey is a frequent contributor to InspectAPedia.com.
- Arlene Puentes, an ASHI member and a licensed home inspector in Kingston, NY, and has served on ASHI national committees as well as HVASHI Chapter President. Ms. Puentes can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wikipedia provided background information about some topics discussed at this website provided this citation is also found in the same article along with a " retrieved on" date. NOTE: because Wikipedia entries are fluid and can be amended in real time, we cite the retrieval date of Wikipedia citations and we do not assert that the information found there is necessarily authoritative.
Books & Articles on Building & Environmental Inspection, Testing, Diagnosis, & Repair
- The Home Reference Book - the Encyclopedia of Homes, Carson Dunlop & Associates, Toronto, Ontario, 25th Ed., 2012, is a bound volume of more than 450 illustrated pages that assist home inspectors and home owners in the inspection and detection of problems on buildings. The text is intended as a reference guide to help building owners operate and maintain their home effectively. Field inspection worksheets are included at the back of the volume. Special Offer: For a 10% discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference Book purchased as a single order. Enter INSPECTAHRB in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space. InspectAPedia.com editor Daniel Friedman is a contributing author.
Or choose the The Home Reference eBook for PCs, Macs, Kindle, iPad, iPhone, or Android Smart Phones. Special Offer: For a 5% discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference eBook purchased as a single order. Enter INSPECTAEHRB in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space.