Asphalt Shingle & Other Roofing Material Testing Labs & Services
This article lists roof materials testing services and laboratories useful for testing roof shingles and other roof coverings for durability, wind uplift, granule loss, roof covering chemistry, and similar parameters.
Green links show where you are. © Copyright 2015 InspectApedia.com, All Rights Reserved.
Directory of Roofing Shingle Testing Laboratories
If your roofing problem is a concern about
- Staining on asphalt roof shingles or roll roofing, see STAIN DIAGNOSIS on ROOFS where we include diagnostic and testing suggestions
- Other asphalt roof shingle failures: see ASPHALT SHINGLE FAILURE TYPES - you can aso see a list of types of roof shingle failures down the left side of this and other roofing article pages.
Readers should see STANDARDS for ROOFING and also see ASPHALT SHINGLE FAILURE TYPES and Environmental Issues - Asbestos Roofing/Siding as well as SLATE ROOF DURABILITY and STAIN DIAGNOSIS on ROOFS, WARRANTIES for ROOF SHINGLES and WOOD SHAKE & SHINGLE ROOFING and finally WORKMANSHIP & WIND DAMAGE.
Roof testing laboratories & forensic engineers specializing in roof product & roof failure analysis specializing in roofing systems: add or update your free listing.
InspectAPedia.com is an independent publisher of building, environmental, and forensic inspection, diagnosis, and repair information for the public - we have no business nor financial connection with any manufacturer or service provider discussed at our website.
Below we list a variety of roof and roofing product testing laboratories who offer roofing durability testing, impact testing, and other roofing material tests.
Laboratories Specializing in Asphalt Roofing Product Testing
- PRI Asphalt Technologies, Inc., 6408 Badger Driv,
Tampa, FL 33610, (813) 621-5777, 831-621-5777
www.priasphalt.com/ and for roofing in particular: http://pricmt.com/
Other Roofing Materials & Roof Shingle Test Labs
For Materials, Equipment and Devices Relating to Fire and Extended Coverage Insurance and for Impact Resistant Roofing Materials. Unless otherwise indicated, companies in this list are approved by the Texas Department of Insurance for testing the impact resistance of roofing products. Some of these laboratories offer a wider range of roofing product testing besides impact resistance.
pplied Research Laboratories,
5371 Northwest 161st Street,
Miami, FL 33014
Architectural Testing Inc.
130 Derry Court
York, PA 17402-9405
2865 Market Loop, Suite B
Southlake, TX 76092
NOTE: listing for Architectural Testing Inc. applies only to the testing of roofing products to determine compliance with UL Standard 2218.
Factory Mutual Research Corporation
P.O. Box 9102
Norwood, MA 02062
Intertek Testing Services
24 Groton Avenue
Cortland, NY 13045-2014
*SGS U.S. Testing Company, Inc.
(Formerly United States Testing Company, Inc.)
291 Fairfield Avenue
Fairfield, NJ 07004
*Quality Auditing Institute
2825 Murray Street
Port Moody, B.C. V3H 1X3
*NOTE: The product certification program (listing, labeling and follow-up inspection service) for SGS U.S. Testing Company will be conducted by Quality Auditing Institute, Inc. However, this recognition applies only to wood shakes and shingles tested in accordance with UL Standard 2218.
**Quality Auditing Institute
2825 Murray Street
Port Moody, B.C. V3H 1X3
**NOTE: The Quality Auditing Institute is listed only for the testing of wood shake and shingle products to determine if they meet Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Standard 2218.
Southwest Research Institute
P. O. Drawer 28210
San Antonio, TX 78238-5166
Underwriters Laboratories, Inc.
333 Phingsten Road
Northbrook, IL 60062
Testing Laboratoratories Serving a Wider Audience than Roofing Products & Roofing Industry Manufacturers
Applied Technical Services
Chemir Analytical Servcies
EMS Lab, the megalith of testing in the U.S.: materialstestinglaboratory.com/
Add Your Listing & Support This Website by a Link Exchange (No Fees)
* Listing submissions by qualified experts are welcome - whose content, services are appropriate for our readers. To provide your link exchange information and our link exchange policy see our Directory Listing & Link Exchange Instructions . There are no listing fees & no conflicts of interest. We reserve the right to list or not list individuals or companies and to provide notice of consumer compliments or complaints. Also see our ADVERTISING POLICY and LINK EXCHANGE POLICY.
Qualified experts in the fields discussed at this website (and suitable for the directories listed below), inspectors, forensic engineers, construction & environmental investigators and laboratories: if you are qualified to serve residential or commercial properties and if you are committed to working without actual or apparent conflict of interest (your company does not inspect, test, and also remediate or repair buildings) you may qualify to be listed in this directory without charge.
The content at this website is provided by InspectAPedia.com® as a public service and
without any conflicts of interest.
This directory receives no support from ASHI, CAHI, CREIA, nor other any home inspection nor from any real estate firm nor any other business, listed or not, at our website. The author reserves the right to
list or not list individual or companies and to provide notice of consumer compliments or complaints.
There are no listing fees & no conflicts of interest. We reserve the right to list or not list individuals or companies and to provide notice of consumer compliments or complaints. Also see our ADVERTISING POLICY and LINK EXCHANGE POLICY.
At our link exchange instructions you will be asked in which of our expert directories you want to be listed:
DIRECTORY OF ATTORNEYS & expert witnesses
DIRECTORY OF ELECTRICIANS - Aluminum Wiring
DIRECTORY OF ELECTRICIANS - FPE Zinsco
HOME INSPECTOR DIRECTORY
MOLD CLEANUP COMPANIES
MOLD & ENVIRONMENTAL INSPECTORS
DIRECTORY of OIL TANK REMOVAL COs
DIRECTORY of OIL TANK TESTING COs
ROOFING MATERIALS TEST LABS
SEPTIC CONSULTANTS / DESIGNERS
SEPTIC SYSTEM SUPPLIERS
OTHER CONSULTANTS, PRODUCTS, SERVICES - full list of external links to experts & services, all building topics
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about roof shingle testing labs - where to get a roof shingle tested
Ask a Question or Search InspectApedia
Questions & answers about roof testing labs for testing roof shingles or other roof covering materials..
Use the "Click to Show or Hide FAQs" link just above to see recently-posted questions, comments, replies, try the search box just below, or if you prefer, post a question or comment in the Comments box below and we will respond promptly.
Technical Reviewers & References
Publisher's Google+ Page by Daniel Friedman
Click to Show or Hide Citations & References
- ARMA - Asphalt Roofing Manufacturer's Association - http://www.asphaltroofing.org/
750 National Press Building, 529 14th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20045, Tel: 202 / 207-0917
- ASTM - ASTM International, 100 Barr Harbor Drive, PO Box C700, West Conshohocken, PA, 19428-2959 USA The ASTM standards listed below can be purchased in fulltext directly from http://www.astm.org/
- NRCA - National Roofing Contractors Association - http://www.nrca.net/, 10255 W. Higgins Road, Suite 600,
Rosemont, IL 60018-5607, Tel: (847) 299-9070 Fax: (847) 299-1183
- UL - Underwriters Laboratories - http://www.ul.com/
2600 N.W. Lake Rd.
Camas, WA 98607-8542
Tel: 1.877.854.3577 / Fax: 1.360.817.6278
- Texas Department of Insurance, lists companies approved for testing the impact resistance of roofing - see http://tdi.state.tx.us/home/roofingx.html
Books & Articles on Building & Environmental Inspection, Testing, Diagnosis, & Repair
- Best Practices Guide to Residential Construction, by Steven Bliss. John Wiley & Sons, 2006. ISBN-10: 0471648361, ISBN-13: 978-0471648369, Hardcover: 320 pages, available from Amazon.com and also Wiley.com. See our book review of this publication.
- Decks and Porches, the JLC Guide to, Best Practices for Outdoor Spaces, Steve Bliss (Editor), The Journal of Light Construction, Williston VT, 2010 ISBN 10: 1-928580-42-4, ISBN 13: 978-1-928580-42-3, available from Amazon.com
- The Journal of Light Construction has generously given reprint permission to InspectAPedia.com for this article. All rights and contents are ©Journal of Light Construction and may not be reproduced in any form.
- Architectural elements: the technological revolution: Galvanized iron roof plates and corrugated sheets; cast iron facades, columns, door and window caps, ... (American historical catalog collection), Diana S Waite, available used out of Amazon.
- Asphalt Roofing Residential Manual,
- Building Pathology, Deterioration, Diagnostics, and Intervention, Samuel Y. Harris, P.E., AIA, Esq., ISBN 0-471-33172-4, John Wiley & Sons, 2001 [General building science-DF] ISBN-10: 0471331724
- Building Pathology: Principles and Practice, David Watt, Wiley-Blackwell; 2 edition (March 7, 2008)
- Built-Up Roof Systems, Manual, C.W. Griffin, Mcgraw-Hill (Tx); 2nd edition (July 1982), ISBN-10: 0070247838, ISBN-13: 978-0070247833
- Concrete Folded Plate Roofs, C. Wilby PhD BSc CEng FICE FIStructE (Author), Butterworth-Heinemann, 1998, ISBN-10: 0340662662, ISBN-13: 978-0340662663
- Concrete Shell Roofs, C. Wilby PhD BSc CEng FICE FIStructE (Author),
- Concrete Dome Roofs (Longman Concrete Design and Construction Series),
- Concrete Roofing Tile, History of the, Batsford, 1959, AISN B000HLLOUC (availble used)
- Copper Roofing, by CDA
- Copper Roofing, Master specifications for copper roofing and sheet metal work in building construction: Institutional, commercial, industrial, I.E. Anderson, 1961 (hard to find)
- Corrugated Iron, Building on the Frontier, Simon Holloway
- Green Roof Plants: A Resource and Planting Guide, Edmund C. Snodgrass, Lucie L. Snodgrass, Timber Press, Incorporated, 2006, ISBN-10: 0881927872, ISBN-13: 978-0881927870. The text covers moisture needs, heat tolerance, hardiness, bloom color, foliage characteristics, and height of 350 species and cultivars.
- Green Roof Construction and Maintenance, Kelley Luckett, McGraw-Hill Professional, 2009, ISBN-10: 007160880X, ISBN-13: 978-0071608800, quoting: Key questions to ask at each stage of the green building process Tested tips and techniques for successful structural design
Construction methods for new and existing buildings
Information on insulation, drainage, detailing, irrigation, and plant selection
Details on optimal soil formulation
Illustrations featuring various stages of construction
Best practices for green roof maintenance
A survey of environmental benefits, including evapo-transpiration, storm-water management, habitat restoration, and improvement of air quality
Tips on the LEED design and certification process
Considerations for assessing return on investment
Color photographs of successfully installed green roofs
Useful checklists, tables, and charts
- Handbook of Building Crafts in Conservation, Jack Bower, Ed.,
Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, NY 1981 ISBN 0-442-2135-3 Library of
Congress Catalog Card Nr. 81-50643.
- Historic Preservation Technology: A Primer, Robert A. Young, Wiley (March 21, 2008)
- Historic Slate Roofs : With How-to Info and Specifications, Tina Skinner (Ed), Schiffer Publishing, 2008, ISBN-10: 0764330012
, ISBN-13: 978-0764330018
- Low Slope Roofing, Manual of, 4th Ed., C.W. Griffin, Richard Fricklas,
McGraw-Hill Professional; 4 edition, 2006, ISBN-10: 007145828X, ISBN-13: 978-0071458283
- Roof failure causes in depth (and specific methods for avoiding them)
- Roof design fundamentals and flourishes, based on voluminous industry research and experience
- New technologies and materials -- using them safely and correctly
- Comprehensive coverage of all major roofing systems
pecifications, inspection, and maintenance tools for roofing work
- Metal Roofing, an Illustrated Guide, R.A. Knowlton , [metal shingle roofs],
- Patio Roofs, how to build, Sunset Books
- Problems in Roofing Design, B. Harrison McCampbell, Butterworth Heineman, 1991 ISBN 0-7506-9162-X (available used)
- Roofing The Right Way, Steven Bolt, McGraw-Hill Professional; 3rd Ed (1996), ISBN-10: 0070066507, ISBN-13: 978-0070066502
- Slate Roofs, National Slate Association, 1926, reprinted 1977
by Vermont Structural Slate Co., Inc., Fair Haven, VT 05743, 802-265-4933/34. (We recommend this book if you can find it. It
has gone in and out of print on occasion.)
- Roof Tiling & Slating, a Practical Guide, Kevin Taylor, Crowood Press (2008), ISBN 978-1847970237,
If you have never fixed a roof tile or slate before but have wondered how to go about repairing or replacing them, then this is the book for you. Many of the technical books about roof tiling and slating are rather vague and conveniently ignore some of the trickier problems and how they can be resolved. In Roof Tiling and Slating, the author rejects this cautious approach. Kevin Taylor uses both his extensive knowledge of the trade and his ability to explain the subject in easily understandable terms, to demonstrate how to carry out the work safely to a high standard, using tried and tested methods.
This clay roof tile guide considers the various types of tiles, slates, and roofing materials on the market as well as their uses, how to estimate the required quantities, and where to buy them. It also discusses how to check and assess a roof and how to identify and rectify problems; describes how to efficiently "set out" roofs from small, simple jobs to larger and more complicated projects, thus making the work quicker, simpler, and neater; examines the correct and the incorrect ways of installing background materials such as underlay, battens, and valley liners; explains how to install interlocking tiles, plain tiles, and artificial and natural slates; covers both modern and traditional methods and skills, including cutting materials by hand without the assistance of power tools; and provides invaluable guidance on repairs and maintenance issues, and highlights common mistakes and how they can be avoided.
The author, Kevin Taylor, works for the National Federation of Roofing Contractors as a technical manager presenting technical advice and providing education and training for young roofers.
- The Slate Roof Bible, Joseph Jenkins, www.jenkinsslate.com,
143 Forest Lane, PO Box 607, Grove City, PA 16127 - 866-641-7141 (We recommend this book).
- Slate Roofing in Canada (Studi4es in archaeology, architecture, and history),
- Smart Guide: Roofing: Step-by-Step Projects, Creative Homeowner (Ed), 2004, ISBN-10: 1580111491, ISBN-13: 978-1580111492
- Solar heating, radiative cooling and thermal movement: Their effects on built-up roofing (United States. National Bureau of Standards. Technical note), William C Cullen, Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Govt. Print. Off (1963), ASIN: B0007FTV2Q
- Tile Roofs of Alfred: A Clay Tradition in Alfred NY
- "Weather-Resistive Barriers [copy on file as /interiors/Weather_Resistant_Barriers_DOE.pdf ] - ", how to select and install housewrap and other types of weather resistive barriers, U.S. DOE
- Wood Shingle Roofs, Care and Maintenance of wood shingle and shake roofs(EC), Stanley S. Niemiec (out of print)