Original ASHI Contact Information for the American Society of Home Inspectors
Home inspection professional information: associations, education, standards, ethics, certification & licensing.
Green links show where you are. © Copyright 2015 InspectApedia.com, All Rights Reserved.
American Society of Home Inspectors - ASHI
Address: 85 West Algonquin Road, Arlington Heights, IL 60005
FAX: 847-290-1920 -- Fax on Demand Document-Retrieval System: 800-743-2744
Executive Director: -
Organization Description: The American Society of Home Inspectors
is the national professional certifying organization of home inspectors
in the United States and Canada.
ASHI Membership: Membership is limited to inspectors who have
met rigorous professional and educational requirements through a comprehensive
certifying exam and a membership review process.
Members are not allowed to actively engage in real estate sales or to have
a financial interest in the sale or maintenance of any property that they
inspect. The ASHI Code of Ethics governs professional
behavior and avoids potential conflicts of interest.
Services Provided by ASHI Members to Consumers: Professional
home inspectors examine and report the condition of houses for purchasers
and home owners. The inspection is performed according to the
Standards of Practice. Survey scope is a comprehensive, visual inspection
of the physical components of the building, its mechanical systems, and
Services Provided by ASHI to its Members: Professional home inspector
education, qualification standards, national home inspector qualification
exam; Standards of Practice for home inspections; A Code of Ethics, keeps
the concept of third-party neutral professionals intact;
conferences, seminars, and a national electronic bulletin board, ASHI ONLINE,
ASHI informs members of the most advanced methods and techniques for examination
and diagnosis of building defects. ASHI's membership convenes annually to
review and upgrade their services and to participate in a continuing technical
education program. ASHI Conducts seminars through both national education
programs and through local chapters in each state or province.
Publications: Membership Directory (annual), The ASHI Reporter
(monthly newsletter),The ASHI Technical Journal of home inspection
and in-service building-component failures,
$12/issue, published by the American Society of Home Inspectors. ISSN 1061-7035.
Convention/Meeting: Annual, with exhibits, January & Mid-year, July
Geographic Area Served: National, United States and Canada
Language: English, limited support in French and Spanish available.
Sponsoring or Funding Agency: private, not-for-profit professional
organization, supported by membership dues and professional activities.
- Promote excellence within the home inspection profession and improve
inspection service to consumers through ASHI Standards of Practice and
Code of Ethics
- Build public awareness of and confidence in professional home inspectors
- Provide Members and others with a forum in which to enhance their professionalism
through education, an informed exchange of ideas and other related benefits
- Interact with related professions, the legal community, and government
agencies, serving as the leading authority in the home and in-service
building inspection profession
Continue reading at HOME & BUILDING INSPECTION METHODS or select a topic from the More Reading links shown below.
Suggested citation for this web page
ASHI American Society of Home Inspectors at InspectApedia.com - online encyclopedia of building & environmental inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, & problem prevention advice.
Green link shows where you are in this article series.
- HOME & BUILDING INSPECTORS & INSPECTION METHODS
- AGE of a BUILDING, HOW to DETERMINE
- AIR CONDITIONING & HEAT PUMP INSPECTION - home
- BIBLIOGAPHY for ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH, MOLD, IAQ
- BUILDING SAFETY HAZARDS GUIDE
- CHIMNEY INSPECTION DIAGNOSIS REPAIR - home
- CLEARANCE DISTANCES
- CRAWL SPACES
- DECK & PORCH CONSTRUCTION
- DIRECTORY of BUILDING INSPECTORS
- DIRECTORIES of EXPERTS
- DISASTER BUILDING INSPECTION & REPAIR
- ELECTRICAL INSPECTION, DIAGNOSIS, REPAIR - home
- ENERGY SAVINGS - home
- ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS - home
- EXTERIOR INSPECTIONS - home
- FIREPLACES & HEARTHS
- FLOOD DAMAGE ASSESSMENT, SAFETY & CLEANUP
- HEATING SYSTEM INSPECTIONS - home
- HOME & BUILDING INSPECTION METHODS - home
- HOME INSPECTION, GET THE MOST FROM
- HOME MAINTENANCE
- HUD RENOVATION & 203 K INSPECTIONS
- INDOOR AIR QUALITY IMPROVEMENT GUIDE
- INSECT INFESTATION / DAMAGE
- INSULATION INSPECTION & IMPROVEMENT - home
- INTERIOR INSPECTIONS - home
- KIT HOMES, Aladdin, Sears, Wards, Others
- LIGHTNING PROTECTION SYSTEMS
- MOBILE HOME INSPECTION GUIDE
- MOISTURE CONTROL in BUILDINGS
- MOLD IN BUILDINGS
- MSDS MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEETS
- NOISE / SOUND DIAGNOSIS & CURE
- ODORS GASES SMELLS, DIAGNOSIS & CURE - home
- OIL TANK PIPING & PIPING DEFECTS
- OIL TANKS INSPECT LEAK TEST ABANDON REGS - home
- PAINT FALURE, DIAGNOSIS, CURE, PREVENTION - home
- PLUMBING SYSTEMS INSPECTION - home
- ROOFING INSPECTION & REPAIR - home
- SAFETY HAZARDS GUIDE - home
- SEPTIC SYSTEM INSPECT DIAGNOSE REPAIR - home
- SOLAR ENERGY
- STAIRS, RAILINGS, LANDINGS, RAMPS - home
- STRUCTURAL INSPECTIONS of BUILDINGS - home
- TANK TYPES: EXPANSION, OIL, SEPTIC WATER, ALL
- TEMPERATURE MEASURING INSTRUMENTS
- VENTILATION in BUILDINGS - home
- WATER ENTRY in BUILDINGS - home
- WATER HEATER INSPECTION - home
- WATER SUPPLY SYSTEM INSPECTION - home
- WATER TESTS for CONTAMINANTS
- WELLS CISTERNS & SPRINGS - home
- WINDOWS & DOORS - home
- FAQs below discusses field reports of problems & solutions for this topic
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Click to Show or Hide FAQs
No FAQs have been posted for this page. Try the search box below or CONTACT US by email if you cannot find the answer you need at InspectApedia.
Ask a Question or Search InspectApedia
Use the "Click to Show or Hide FAQs" link just above to see recently-posted questions, comments, replies, try the search box just below, or if you prefer, post a question or comment in the Comments box below and we will respond promptly.
Technical Reviewers & References
Publisher's Google+ Page by Daniel Friedman
Click to Show or Hide Citations & References
- Mark Cramer Inspection Services Mark Cramer, Tampa Florida, Mr. Cramer is a past president of ASHI, the American Society of Home Inspectors and is a Florida home inspector and home inspection educator. Contact Mark Cramer at: 727-595-4211 mark@BestTampaInspector.com 11/06
- Roger Hankey is principal of Hankey and Brown home inspectors, Eden Prairie, MN. Mr. Hankey is a past chairman of the ASHI Standards Committee. Mr. Hankey has served in other ASHI professional and leadership roles. Contact Roger Hankey at: 952 829-0044 - firstname.lastname@example.org. Mr. Hankey is a frequent contributor to InspectAPedia.com.
- Arlene Puentes, an ASHI member and a licensed home inspector in Kingston, NY, and has served on ASHI national committees as well as HVASHI Chapter President. Ms. Puentes can be contacted at email@example.com
Books & Articles on Building & Environmental Inspection, Testing, Diagnosis, & Repair