Question? Just ask us!
Free Encyclopedia of Building & Environmental Inspection, Testing, Diagnosis, Repair
InspectAPedia ® Home
AFUE DEFINITION, RATINGS
AGE of HEATERS, BOILERS, FURNACES
BACKDRAFTING HEATING EQUIPMENT
BACKFLOW PREVENTER VALVE, HEATING SYS
BANGING HEATING PIPES RADIATORS
BOILER CONTROLS & SWITCHES
BOILER LEAKS CORROSION STAINS
BOILER NOISE SMOKE ODORS
BOILER OPERATING PROBLEMS
BOOKSTORE - InspectAPedia
BTU USAGE MONITORS
CHEMICAL TREATMENTS for BOILERS
CHIMNEY INSPECTION DIAGNOSIS REPAIR
CIRCULATOR PUMPS & RELAYS
DEFINITION of HEATING & COOLING TERMS
DIAGNOSE & FIX HEATING PROBLEMS-BOILER
DRAFT MEASUREMENT, CHIMNEYS & FLUES
DRAFT REGULATORS, DAMPERS, BOOSTERS
FILTERS, OIL on HEATING EQUIPMENT
FIRE SAFETY CONTROLS
FLOODED HEATING EQUIPMENT REPAIR
FLUE VENT CONNECTORS
FREEZE-PROOF A BUILDING
FUEL OIL TYPES & CHARACTERISTICS
FUEL UNIT, HEATING OIL PUMPS
GAS BURNER Flame & Noise Defects
GAS PIPING, VALVES, CONTROLS
GAUGES ON HEATING EQUIPMENT
HEATING COST SAVINGS METHODS
HEATING LOSS DIAGNOSIS-BOILERS
HEATING OIL PIPING TROUBLES
HEATING SYSTEM INSPECTION GUIDE
HEATING SYSTEM NOISES
HIGH EFFICIENCY BOILERS/FURNACES
GAS LP & NATURAL GAS SAFETY HAZARDS
MANUALS & PARTS GUIDES - HVAC
MOTOR OVERLOAD RESET SWITCH
NO HEAT - BOILER
NOISE, HEATING SYSTEMS
ODORS FROM HEATING SYSTEMS
OIL PUMP FUEL UNIT
PUFFBACKS, OIL BURNER
RELIEF VALVES - STEAM TP VALVES
Reset Switch - Heater Primary Control
RESET SWITCH - ELECTRIC MOTOR
Reset Switch - Stack Relays
SAFETY, HEATING INSPECTION
SAFETY RECALLS CHIMNEYS VENTS HEATERS
SOOT on OIL FIRED HEATING EQUIPMENT
SPILL SWITCHES - Flue Gas Detection S
STACK RELAY SWITCHES
STEAM HEATING SYSTEMS
THERMOSTATS, HEATING / COOLING
VIDEO GUIDES: Heating System Videos
ZONE VALVES, HEATING
Steam heat inspection checklist, training course curriculum, defects lists: this article lists significant steam heating systems defects, definitions, and home inspection education topics.
This article series, beginning at BUILDING DEFECTS LISTS, provides lists of common building defects and basic defect knowledge that also outline recommended curriculum content for home inspector education. The building defects and inspection points listed in these articles also guide homeowners and home buyers to building areas that merit careful attention and often point areas of safety concern or important maintenance and repair tasks.
Green links show where you are. © Copyright 2014 InspectApedia.com, All Rights Reserved.
Readers should see STEAM HEATING SYSTEMS and HEATING SYSTEMS for our complete list of articles on this topic. Also see HOME & BUILDING INSPECTORS & INSPECTION METHODS. Use the Search Box at the top or bottom of these pages to find in-depth information about building, energy savings, and indoor environment inspection, diagnosis and repair at this website. Watch out: these inspection lists do not list all possible defects for the systems discussed, and not all home or building inspectors will examine all of the items listed here. CONTACT us to suggest corrections or additions to articles at this website.
4.6 Steam Heating System Inspection Requirements & Defects List
4.6.1 Knowledge Base for Steam Heating System Inspection
1. Describe the function of steam heating systems.
2. Describe the advantages and disadvantages of steam heating relative to forced air and hot water heating.
3. Describe one and two pipe steam heating systems
4. Describe the materials and components of steam heating systems including the following: high and low pressure systems, one and two pipe systems, parallel flow or counter flow in one pipe systems, up feed or down feed systems, gravity return and pumped return systems, vapor systems, vacuum systems, burner, fuel delivery system, combustion air supply, vent/chimney, thermostat, distribution piping, radiator, operating controls, safety controls (including safety “pop-off” valve), pressure gauge, air vent on radiator and on pipe, Hartford loop, equalizer pipe, condensate pump, boiler feed pump, backflow preventer, zone control, tankless coils,
5. Describe the features of good installation and repair technique for a steam boiler.
6. Describe the operating cycle for steam heating system from the at rest position to shut down.
7. Define the following terms: latent heat of vaporization, thermostat, pressuretrol (steam pressure limit switch), air vent, dimension A, equalizer pipe, Hartford loop, wet return, dry return, steam trap, thermostatic trap, F and T trap, main vent, receiver, auto water feeder(automatic water makeup), low water cut out, blow down (blow-off) valve, pressure relief valve, water hammer, water level gauge( sight gauge, sight glass), close nipple on Hartford loop.
8. Identify the codes or standards which apply to steam heating in your area(including the fuel system).
4.6.2 Inspection Skills for Steam Heating Systems
1. Describe the inspection procedure for a steam boiler.
2. Identify the common defects listed on the next page.
3. Describe the implication of each defect.
4. Identify safety issues for the inspector and occupant of the home (steam explosion, gas explosion, oil fire, combustion products poisoning occupants, flooding).
5. Communicate findings to client verbally and in writing, recommending corrective action where needed.
STEAM BOILER TYPICAL DEFECTS
Following our list of links to key steam heat inspection, diagnosis and repair articles just below, we list steam heat problems that should be incuded in an inspection by the home inspector or other heat professionals:
Steam Boiler Heat Exchanger Defects
Steam Heating System Equalizer Defects List
Steam Boiler Cabinet Enclosure Defects
Steam Heat Zone Control Defects
Steam Boiler Isolating Valve Defects
Steam Heat Thermostat Defects List
Steam Heat Distribution Piping Defects
Steam Heat Radiator Defects
Steam Radiator Air Vents Steam Vent Defects List
Steam Trap Defects
Steam Boiler Water Feeder & Low Water Cut Off LWCO Defects
Steam Boiler Sight Glass / Water Gauge Level Defects List
Steam Heat Condensate Return Pumps & Boiler Feed Pump Defects List
Steam Boiler Pressure Control - Pressure-Trol Defects List
Steam Heat General Operating Problems Defects List
Steam Heating System Hartford Loop Defects List
These curriculae and building defect lists are based on smilar curriculum documents first prepared by Joe Scaduto, an ASHI member who prepared course material for Northeastern University's Building Inspection Certificate program in 1988, subsequently by DF, InspectApedia's editor, for New York University ca 1988 and later, with others, recommended to ASHI, the American Society of Home Inspectors.
ASHI did not adopt this material though currently that association as well as others offer extensive HOME INSPECTOR EDUCATION material.
The curriculum and lists of defects are informed by additional analysis of the process of home inspection that was developed beginning Calgary, AB for Canadian and U.S. home inspector education and certification examinations in 1997. Other early contributors to home inspection education in the U.S. and Canada include Dr. Jess Aronstein, Alan Carson, Mike Casey, Mark Cramer, John Cox, Dwight Barnett, Douglas Hansen, Rick Heyl, Larry Hoytt, Bill Merrill, Kevin O'Malley, Dennis Robitalille, Keith Peddie, Pat Porzio, Roger Robinson.
Readers should see STEAM HEATING SYSTEMS and HEATING SYSTEMS for our complete list of articles on this topic. Also see HOME & BUILDING INSPECTORS & INSPECTION METHODS. Use the Search Box at the top or bottom of these pages to find in-depth information about building, energy savings, and indoor environment inspection, diagnosis and repair at this website. Watch out: these inspection lists do not list all possible defects for the systems discussed, and not all home or building inspectors will examine all of the items listed here.
CONTACT us to suggest corrections or additions to articles at this website.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
No FAQs have been posted for this page. Try the search box below or CONTACT US by email if you cannot find the answer you need at InspectApedia.
Try the search box just below or if you prefer, post a question or a comment in the Comments box below and we will respond promptly.
Search the InspectApedia website
HTML Comment Box is loading comments...
Technical Reviewers & References
Related Topics, found near the top of this page suggest articles closely related to this one.